Bike setup questions

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Guss78, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Guss78

Guss78 New Member

I am looking at a STOCK frame, they suggest a 409mm fork. I haven't been able to find a fork around that length, I have found the echo pure and urban, they are 420mm and 400mm.

- To obtain a 409mm feel, the bar and stem can be adjusted, but is it better to go with a low fork and a high bar and stem or a high fork and a lower bar and stem.

-Can you get a 6" adapter for a Stock Koxx Forxx?

-Has anyone had any problems with the Echo urban or pure forks?

Thank you,
    Dallas

2. Elan

Elan steve french

manuafacturer's suggestiosn are jsut that, suggestions. depending on what kind of bike and what type of riding you do, one fork will be suited better for you than the other. 400mm is what you want if they recommend 409 though.

you pretty much have to run the 190mm rotor to use hte koxx forxx. there arent any other options really.

the echo urban is a great fork, as is the pure. both are cheap and solid. the pure is 420mm though, doesnt sound like its what you want.

3. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

Fork/bar/stem measurements are personal preference (as everything is) But if it were me i'd go for the shorter fork and higher bars/stem. (that is choosing from your criteria and considering that I will be riding pure trials on this) What frame is it you have/are getting? what kind of feel are you hoping to achieve? As for the 6" adaptor im guessing you are talking about disc brakes... do you mean you want to run a 6 inch disc? if you do i think that that is impossible on the koxx forx since the lowest is 180mm when you use a 6" adaptor for it. If you mean the other way, (need a 6 inch adaptor) adaptors on most types of brakes are different for each kind of brake (excluding avid/hayes) and they come with them or you can buy them seperately at an lbs/mail order store for the specific brake you have.

4. Guss78

Guss78 New Member

fork

Thanks for the replies. I am shooting for a comp style bike, maybe a Caisso, I like short bikes. I just wanted to see if there was an adpater to put a 6" caliper on the Koxx Forxx, which I guess cannot be done.

Basically, I am just wondering if its smarter, when building a comp style bike, to have a high fork and a low stem or low fork and a high stem. But I guess its preference mostly.
    Dallas

5. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

I would say a short fork if you are going for a comp style feel. I think that the caisso would probably feel like shit with a long fork.

6. Elan

Elan steve french

comp style riders usually have low low forks (no more than 410mm) and medium rise/length stems. like 110X15deg. but yeah its pretty much preference. you can get a 190mm rotor from magura or hope if you want to use a caliper which would normally be for 160mm rotors on the koxx fork.