Bike Rack

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by free_rideman, Mar 25, 2007.

1. free_rideman

free_rideman Keepin it real

I need help in deciding what bike rack I should get. I would want to get one that holds the bike by the two wheels for obvious reasons but I don't know if I should get a roof mounted rack or a hitch mounted rack. If I go the hitch way I would need to buy an actual hitch for my 99 honda civic 4 door. Then I would need to get the actual bike rack.

Any opinions and recommendations would be helpful.

Also what hitches are good? Any specific racks that people like?

Is this hitch good?

http://www.hitches4less.com/1920honciv24.html

2. Keith Courage

Keith Courage Richard

Fuck a hitch on a Honda. Those 2 wheel mount, hitch racks look like shit plus they add lots of weight the rear end of your car.

you can get a sweet roof mount system by thule for ~350 for your Honda.
    With a Thule system not only will you be able to carry bikes easily, but you will also be able to switch to other things very easily (kayak, surfboard, you get the point)
    I'd definitely go that route.

3. trauma100

trauma100 Modest

I would go with a roof rack... a little more of a pain to get the bikes on but alot more versitile, especially if you want to haul more gear ...snowboard,skis,cargo box etc. I have had both thule and yakima base racks and IMO they are equally as good...as far as bike mounts go,Firewrx612 has the king cobra by yakima Ihttp://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=13 it's a five second mount and very nice.

I have a yakima base with two anklebiters http://www.rack-it.com/product_image.php?imageid=59 not to bad ,but a little bit of a pain to get bikes secured .... king cobra will be next

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  4. GpTrials

GpTrials Guest

I would go with a hitch mount rack. I have seen at least a dozen people forget the bikes are on top and drive under something (garage ect..). For a hitch mount you can't beat this one. It works great for trials bikes and any other kind of bike. You can also get it in a four place for $150.00. Just my two $$$.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16...eals/Sette-Sierra-2-Bike-Hitch-Mount-Rack.htm

I just returned this rack. Don't bother getting it, it's junk. Sorry for the bad advise.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  5. kobrakai

kobrakai Kai

thule ftw
    [​IMG]

seriously, roof racks are the only way to go.

6. free_rideman

http://www.raxterracks.com/products.html

Just found these. Seem simple and very reliable. From reviews people seem to like them a lot.

http://www.yakima.com/Consumer/Step4.aspx

This system seems too expensive and complicated. Plus it would seem that there will be a decrease in fuel economy and stability of the vehicle. Especially with a 50lb dh bike.

By any chance does yakima have a employee purchase thing for shop employees? Does anyone that work at a shop know?

7. free_rideman

I checked the thule website and their car fit thingy gave me a price of about $500. That is a lot!

8. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

the green power ranger and the red power ranger

9. Keith Courage

Keith Courage Richard

Kobrakai made it startlingly clear what kind of bike rack ANYONE THAT OWNS A BIKE should own.

gg, kkai

10. mekanic305

mekanic305 8=======D

11. free_rideman

I have to tell you I am starting to consider roof racks more. Especially since I won't have to go through the pain of getting a receiver hitch. But I am more confused than ever now.

oh the possibilities...

12. spoke2570

spoke2570 New Member

Screw racks!

Bikes go inside! Friends surf the roof.

13. Graham@MBT

[email protected] Active Member

You price it out on their site, and buy it all on eGay. It's not $500 there.

I have a yakima rack, never going back to any trunk/hitch rack after going roof.

14. JohnnyO

JohnnyO New Member

Bikes on the roof make for sucky fuel efficiency. Ideally put them inside or if you need to on the back. Whatever you save getting a roof rack you will soon spend on petrol. Especially if you are driving open roads.

15. B-boy

B-boy New Member

2nd this.. I also have the yakima king cobra on my honda accord, and even though it was expensive it has been TOTALLY worth every penny. Its a super fast load, and plus its tough enough to hold my DH bike nice and secure

16. toyota200x

toyota200x In the present moment

Sorry I am doing a little high jacking.

I have a 2001 Toyota Solara 2D. When looking at racks on ebay how will I know if it is going to fit my car. I am kind of a newbie when it comes to knowing what components of a rack will fit my car. Are there different towers for different cars?
    Thanks for the help. :)

17. trauma100

trauma100 Modest

Thule and Yakima both have fit guides on their websites

18. trialsrider50

trialsrider50 New Member

roof rack for sure. I have one of the yakima king cobra things or whatever. It's nice because it can hold any style of frame and it's very secure. even with my old rm-7 on it (50+lbs). the one's that clamp onto the frame are great unless you have one of the few weird frames that don't work in those.

19. Dang!

Dang! New Member

Thule racks!- Screw the "both wheels" crap-
    Thule V2's
    and they look great!

20. willapaj

willapaj New Member

If you get a roof rack, get a fork mount one, not the kind that allows you to keep both wheels on like above. I once had a bike mounted to one of those back in the early 90's and it got blown over sideways in a gust of wind on the freeway. Not a lot of fun to see your bike dangling off the side of your car when you're going 70...
    You can save money if you don't have to have the name brand thule/yakima everything. The rack (towers and bars) sure, but for the actual bike mounts themselves, RockyMounts are just as good (and work with either yakima or thule bars) and are a bit cheaper.
    Trunk racks work pretty well too. They're more fuel efficient for sure, but a bit less stable. You can get a cheap Allen for $50. I have one of those too, and it's been in my family for 15 years and it still works just fine.
    Racks can last forever too. The yakima rack I have has been around since 1988. Different towers for different cars (4 or 5 by now), but the rest stays the same...