Bike battle footage?

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by nidoss, Oct 19, 2004.

1. nidoss

nidoss Guest

did anyone see the clip of it on nsmb.com? I saw it yesterday and i must say im kind of dissapointed. It use to be a lot about trials and now its all street pretty much. Not that street is bad or anything but from what i saw there was practically nothing.

I remember reading on brisabikes a while back and in 180 magazine how bikebattle is one of the greates things to happen for trials and media exposure, well it doesnt seem like it to me. being that there is almost no trials in it anymore.

For those of you who know what im talking about what did you all think of it? and did i see riki murata at the end of the clip? It was just for a second but as soon as i saw the guy i instantly thought it was riki.

anyway

2. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

the first year it was mostly a trials event. after that, they realised that trials is boring compared to street. so, they invited mostly street riders after the first event.

word around the campfire is redbull is trying to do a trials specific event, in addition to the the bike battle. the riding that went on at this years battle was amazing. tail whips, front flips, massive wall rides. alot of it was repetitive, though, with only a few riders being really creative.

jeff l, studley, chris clark, petr kraus, spesny, and riki where all there, with riki and studly the only riders doing "trials" moves in it.

it was a good event though. the course was a blast to ride.

3. nidoss

nidoss Guest

Ya i must say just from the 2 minute clip i saw of it, it looked pretty sweet. do you know anything about the trials event? or is it just rumor? i wonder what kind of comp it would be?

4. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Dave Smutok (the dude who won) graduated from my High School 2 years ahead of me. I remember we would go riding after cross country (we both ran) and he would throw down superman seat grabs while I tried to learn pedal ups...He was sick back then and not much has changed...

5. icecreamsammy

icecreamsammy New Member

you sure it's Riki? he's so small he seems to find it hard to ride a stock. Its probably Keita Miyaoka and from what i have heard, riki has based his style on Keita's so that would explain the similar techniques? After saying all that, I wasnt there so i spose it could have been Riki, but i doubt it.
    Sam

6. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

or perhaps a different riki.

7. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Mike, It wasn't Riki, it was Keita Miyaoka. I might have spelled his name wrong, but it definitely wasn't Riki Murata. Also just to start a discussion on this, I'm not so sure Trials is boring compared to street. It's just that now you personally are all excited about street, so you view trials as boring. Trials is every bit as impressive to the untrained eye, especially since there are no ramps to assist the rider in getting the bike off the ground. Trials is however more boring to learn for the average rider because it takes something other than just guts to get good at it. After riding street on both BMX and mountain bikes for the past ten years or more, I've come to realize that skills will come with time in street, and trials actually takes dedication and drive to keep at it. I am in no way shape or form saying that the top riders in Street don't have skills, they do, it's just that a guy with big ass balls can go big as hell in street ridig without even ever have learned any of the skillful stuff, whereas in trials if I would try to do a big ass up, or even a huge drop with no skill, I'd end up in the hospital, or at least all jacked up. You might be able to figure out a few riders here in baltimore that are testimonial to this!! Just something to think about.

8. icecreamsammy

icecreamsammy New Member

I used to ride street but quit and started trials because trials looked way cooler and after seeing all my old street chums ride, im glad i quit, trials still looks cooler to me.

9. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

If you hit a jump box with no skill you are gonna get hurt, try gapping something at speed and case it you are going to get hurt, if you are going to try a shady wallride and you fall, you are gonna get hurt. I dont think I ever got seriously hurt riding trials. It sucks, but you fall at like 5 mph, there are exceptions, but I think to ride street well you definately need just as much skill as you do to ride trials well...Its apples to oranges cant compare or generalize them.

10. nidoss

nidoss Guest

I wasnt sure if it was riki or not, that was just my first impression. Keita is pretty awesome as well. I remember the longe cho vid of him.

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Street is much more dangerous than trials, i think it is impossible to get hurt badly riding trials...unless you are a complete goon and riding way over your level. 20mph > 0 mph, put your foot down in trials = dragging your face into pavement in street.

However there are probably a TON more people who could do a large high speed gap as long as they had the balls and speed to make it than there are who could do a 3 foot sidehop; just because there is so much more practicing and technique that go into it.

12. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

well sorry bruce, mr pro trials rider. j/k

just so you know, im not all excited about street and anti-trials. i NEED something new. thats why i want a street bike.

ive always thought trials is boring to watch. if it was exciting to the average joe, than why is it not a mainstream sport? trials hasnt caught on for a reason. i dont mean to be putting you down bruce, with your recent excitement and re-involvment, but pure trials is boring. i would much rather watch guys at the skatepark than watch guys on rocks. granted i say that but ill still go out and take pictures of you.

this is my opinion, and please take it as such.

13. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Mike ,
    Trials isn't mainstream because of the hard to find trials shops, and the dedication it requires to learn it, and learn it well. Street riding is much more mainstream because it's exactly the opposite of this....... That being said, Dan, I was in no way trying to discount the abilities and skills it takes to ride street well. I'm well aware of the dangers of street riding, I've been through a ton myself (broken skull, both broken collarbones, compound tibia, AND fibula on the same leg, torn ligaments in my ankle, countless shinners from trying to learn pedal flips, cysts in both wrists,more scars than I know what to do with,etc.....)I'm a HUGE fan of riding street, if I weren't, I'd not have done it for the past at least ten years of my life. I was merely stating that it doesn't take as much to get into it as trials does. I'm in the middle of building a new street bike right now(REVELL 250R, completely rigid) and I'll probably ride street for longer than trials simply because it's an easier thing to do(not the riding, but the actual act of it altogether). I'm sorry if there was anyone offended by this last post. Now on to the next point, trials is cooler to observe, and MikesSchiavone is a big giant farthead

14. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

saying trials is cooler to observe is super subjective. Saying trials is harder because you have to learn technique is truth. You can ride at the expert level of trials only after years (At least 2 in most cases) of practice. Whereas in one year I have gotten decent at street.