Big Rocks Park in Glen Rose, TX - World Class Comp Location

Discussion in 'South/South West, USA' started by Sonic, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

I spent the day out at Big Rocks Park in Glen Rose, TX to get a feel for what kind of riding can be found out there, and whether or not the local authorities would bring the hick law down on me. All was cool though, and the riding even cooler, check out the media below...and keep in mind, these are all huge.

Big Rocks Park, what a creative name... :p
    [​IMG]

First of all, it's just a pretty area:
    [​IMG]

There are so many pictures to look at, so Ill just post a few cool spots and you can look at them all in an album below, this is a nice area with a lot of lines:
    [​IMG]

And then I have a few of this area, it has unlimited possibilites:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where I spent the second half of my day out there, gapping up to the one rock, going to another rock on the left, and gapping back to the first rock I started at:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the fist part of my day was spent in a smaller area, and just to give you an idea how big these are, I couldnt up the rock with "Katrina" written on it, it's steep and taller than you think, but of course, Im no up king, regardless...it's tough:
    [​IMG]

There are so many runups out there too, created by people walking around, it's awesome:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gap fun! :sonic:
    [​IMG]

Looking down:
    [​IMG]

Climbing down and looking up:
    [​IMG]

If youd like to see more check out the two panoromas and photo album below.

Panorama of area where I spent the first part of the day, beginner and sport class sections could be made in this area:
    http://www.tarleton.edu/~daskins/videos/bigrockspark-01.mov

Panorama of entire area:
    http://www.tarleton.edu/~daskins/videos/bigrockspark-02.mov

Photo album of all pictures I took out there today:
    http://www.tarleton.edu/~daskins/pictures/albums/bigrockspark/page_01.htm

It's a scary place at times, and it's very easy to get hurt out there, but if youre smart it's no problem, just awesome.

But I think I should talk with the Glen Rose city council about holding a comp. out there. It will be VERY hot during the summer with no shade, but I hope people would come out for the great riding, plus if you get too hot you can swim in the river there. :drool:

2. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Don't tell Linz that :nono: :rofl:

Nice pics sonic, you can kind of get an idea for the size in some pics by the size of the walking path.

Bill

3. Patrick

Patrick New Member

One of the best places I've ever seen...

4. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

good find, definately got to hit that up..

5. kamil

kamil Guest

HOLLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
    looks like purgatory just got :eek:wned: . big time.... i want to move ther.. i'll have to find a way to get my ass down ther and sooon!!!!1

6. Sonic

Dunno, Purgatory is awesome, but as far as rock size goes, this does own Purg. :eek:wned:

It's not too bad to drive down here. About an hour and a half (without traffic) either way you go.

You can go west on 820 and go around Ft. Worth and then hit 820 South to Granbury, meet me, and then we head down 144 south to Glen Rose. Or what is probably quickest is get down to 67 (I take Beltline from Irving to hit it) and go south right into Glen Rose. See my map for the two different ways:

[​IMG]

Heh, kind of looks like a rat monkey or something...
    [​IMG]

Call me anytime to get detailed directions, especially this week, Im on Spring Break, crap, Id come pick you up, drag you down here, ride, and drive you back in one day. Well, Im off to ride again, ttyl. :sonic:

7. seandom

seandom New Member

sick sick sick. :bowdown:

i may have to take a detour on the way to austin.

8. Sonic

Heh, Bill told me I should have taken a pic with my bike in it so youd have some kind of size comparison, so here's my Photoshop of it:

[​IMG]

:p :D :rofl:

9. Patrick

Patrick New Member

haha.. that's the best. Maybe the area should be called little mountain state park instead?

10. Sethbomb

Sethbomb New Member

Jeff and I are planning on checking this out this weekend, should be the perfect place to break in the new bike!!
    Possibly pack a big lunch and, drive down there early morning and hang out all day? Who's in?

11. Sonic

Ive made plans to be in Irving Saturday, but Im certainly going to change them if you guys are really planning on coming down, that'd be awesome. I dont know if more than 5 of us should be out there at a time though, I imagine this weekend will see a lot of visitors to that area since it's Spring Break. Just yesterday there were about 25-30 people coming in and out while I was there, and that was just a Tuesday. Anyway, if a lot of us are out there someone might get their panties in a wad about it and make a call, who knows, Im just a cautious weenie.