Best rear(or front) rim choice?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Alex DX32

100.0%
  2. Try-All XXL rim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Which rear rim do you think is a better choice? I'm feeling like switchin up a few parts...trying new things, and I'm feeling like exploring new rims first

I'm definitly going to to get a different front rim, as I'm already experiancing tire folding over on the front...damn Mavic X221 rim...it has good braking qualities, but it's stiffnes SUCKS.

I currently have a DX32 on my rear. Would the width of the Try-All be beneficial for stability of the rear with that nice Comp 24.1 2.5 profile?

So I'm probably going to match up my front with the corresponding front rim version of the rear...so which rim do you think is a better choice?

2. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

I run dx32 (38mm) front and rear and its the shizz. IF the tryall is wider get that front and rear

3. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah...the try-all is 47mm wide...I think the DX32 is 38mm.....

Dude...47mm wide. That's wider than a Sun Doublewide....a Sun DW is 45.6....I had that on the front of my .243...that was a WIDE rim....but it's also 795 Grams. :eek3:

DX32 undrilled = 730 Grams
    XXL = 650 grams

Doesn't drilling a DX32 save you like 50 grams if you use 1/2-3/4 holes :? So what, 680 grams....still heavier, but tried and true. Is it worth getting a drilled DX32 over a Try-All XXL? Anybody ever try to drill the holes BIGGER on a XXL(they look kinda small and like there's plenty more room)?

4. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

i would use a tioga factory DH rim drilled to hell in the front if i had the money.

5. oicdn

oicdn Guest

My Bad...the Sun Doublewides weigh in at 885 grams :eek: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: the 795 was for the 24 inch :eek3:

6. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

the double wide may be one of the worst rims ever.

dx-32's are rad. price. weight. perfomance. they dont suck.

7. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Oh no doubt...DWs sucked...flatspotted easily....I just liked the width. That's why I had the D321 in the rear and the DW up front.....

It made me sloppy as fuck though without realizing it...really wide tire/rim on the front with a 5in travel fork....soaks up ALOT of error....

8. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Aren't the koxx rims kinda weak? Since they are lighter than dx-32 and much wider?

9. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

they arent necesssarily weaker. they are made from a softer metal though which affects how often you have to grind. if the wheel is built right the try-all is no 'weaker' than the dx-32.

10. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Ah......Hmm....now I'm skeptikal...cause I dunno HOW GOOD these BMX guys build my wheels.....I wish I knew how to build wheels...then they prolly wouldn't be built good...so uh...nevermind, LOL!

11. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

holy crap, please go ride or something, you post topics like 5 times a day. usually pointless, im kinda ranting but its really annoying...........

12. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

indeed. however i noticed with my new rim the metal seems to be a lot less soft. maybe it's in my head... or mabe it's the GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDD

13. Allmjm

Allmjm New Member

You are a beginner rider, you should not be able to tell the difference between the dx32 and try all. If you already have the dx32 don't bother changing it until it gets messed up or something. I you have money to spend there are a lot of other ways to spend it.
    Martin

14. B1105

B1105 New Member

Yea dude, go ride a bit before spending money on shit, then youll feel like you deserve it.

15. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

damn I didnt know the try-all was that wide. I am going to try that on the rear next...

16. Elan

Elan steve french

i am building up a mavic D3.1 for my new front... and i am getting my king fixed and i will put a try-all when that comes back... so i wont vote until i get to try the try-all...and if my $23.00 alex is better than my $93.00 (retail) mavic, i will laugh at myself, and then probably shoot myself..ahaha... im not too worried though. all i can say is that an alex dx-32 rim is a SOLID investment.

17. pav

pav New Member

when i was getting a new rear rim and i was asking around all i heard was

"dont get try all rims"

and i have seen myself how easily they become untrue, its pretty damn easy and when they do they come untrue bad, and i have heard about spokes always coming loose also

just get a DX32 and drill it

or make your own rims

pav

18. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

JUST RIDE YOUR DA...

Apologies, I'm repeating myself.

19. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

20. Elan

Elan steve french

if you werent a hypocrite, you wouldnt have 84 posts.. sorry, just venting.