Best rear hub for under 100 bucks

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by silus2000, Apr 2, 2004.

1. silus2000

silus2000 New Member

Can anyone help me out here? Shimano LX is all I know of. Maybe I could get an XT somewhere cheap, but thats all I know of. Anyone care to add more suggestions? I promise I wont embarress anyone once I start kicking arse with my low engagement hub.

2. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Hope XC... 22 clics isn't much.. but they are solid..
    It's better than 16(shimano) in any case.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

shimano silent clutch

4. silus2000

silus2000 New Member

I dont think they sell those silent clutches anymore. As far as the Hope XC, I cant find at any American retailers. Help anyone?

5. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

you should check walmart.. good stuff :)

6. Tanner

Tanner New Member

a locked out hub and a WI trials freewheel.

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

..+ front freewheel cranks and bashring and you are way over 100 dollars.

Hope XC isn't under 100 dollars, new at least.... i believe jenson has them.

Get a silent clutch if you aren't a fat fuck, you can still find them even though they are no longer produced. Or go to a local bike race, get crafty at stealing XC fairies parts...a rear wheel shouldn't be hard to nab.

8. Morryjg

Morryjg Guest

If all else fails go to Jenson and get an XT. You can pick one up for cheap and it will hold up while you save up to buy a real hub. And then I won't be the only one out there riding an XT hub! ;)

9. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

A shimano Lx will do until you have more $$ for a better, more trialsy hub, i.e Chris King.

I had a Shimano XT on the rear, the XT freehub body went within 3-4 or so months, i then bought an LX freehub body as a replacement, this fit into the XT shell almost perfectly, all it took was a little bodge and i had the LX freehub body on my XT, and that has seemed to hold up longer (2months longer) than my XT freehub body has, and it was cheaper.

Hope XC should be under $100 BUCKS anyway unless your getting totally ripped off over there, i bought a 3 day old immaculate condition Black Hope XC rear hub on a PX BMF rim laced with DT swiss spokes, all for £80, plus a brand new steel hope QR.

Im sure you could get a second hand rear hub for under a hundred bucks, in which case go for a hope XC,

how popular are they in the USA?

In the UK every other rider has one, lol. (including me now)