Best downtube protector?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by hophopsnap, Aug 24, 2004.

1. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

Hey,

I've seen some neat downtube protectors and was wondering what you guys thought was the best? PVC? Aluminum? Plastic? And whats the best way to hold it on? Want to make one for mine, I would feel better about making moves and such.

Thanks.

2. oicdn

oicdn Guest

PVC is cheapest and you can use Zip ties running through drilled holes, or some velcro backing to keep it in place......

3. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

your on a pure. they're like 3.2 mm thickness right? that's like impossible to dent, i wouldn't even worry about it until you start rail gaps. then, i stilll wouldn't worry about it, because pures are bombproof.

they're also ugly as fuck

4. hophopsnap

But is it too fragile? Or is that a good thing when impacting on a rock? To shatter instead of taking the hit through the frame.

edit-Andreas posted before I got ^^^ out.

Yeah I guess you are right lol. I remember Ty said his friend did a 5 foot gap to downtube and it did not dent so..

But I was mainly wanting to protect from scratches since I'm still to noobie to be gapping. Thanks.

2nd edit-"their also ugly as fuck"

yes thats correct, but I believe mine looks the nicest. :drool:

anymore answers/questions?

5. Elan

Elan steve french

forget it. it will look even gayer, and it wont do anything except help scratches.

6. Elan

Elan steve french

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

The best downtube protector is YOURSELF billy!! Only you can rock it gnar stylez, no doubt.

Just don't go big or do anything scary, and you will have perfect!

8. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

i dented a pure the first week i got it. i hopped of and it hit a rock.

i think gofast makes some diamond plate ones.

9. hophopsnap

I guess scratches are more of a battle symbol then nastyness.

10. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

dents and scratchs are pretty......

11. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

I think I'm going to cover the downtube in clear silicone caulking. That way, it both protects my bike and looks like someone nutted all over it.

12. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

I'm actually only kinda kidding - I'm using silicone caulking to glue a piece of pvc for a guard. By making the glue layer a bit thick, i get a little impact absorbtion out of it. But it won't be squishin out all over the place.

13. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Downtube dents are part of trials pride...just look at Ed's XTP. The thing rides so good and I think its because of the dents. In all seriousness I dont think downtube protection is needed, how often do you hit that part of your bike anyway?

14. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

Not too much I guess, but when the only reason not to is weight (waaah), and I might end up keeping my frame intact longer, there's no real reason not to. Kinda like why I still wear shinguards.

15. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

my xtp is paper thin. hah! stfu dents dont matter, sorry if i sound rude.

16. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

I run a pvc with velcro, because when I mess a move up, I mess it bad. I'd already gotten a nice dent in the frame from a midway bail during a tap, so I just stuck the pvc thing on. It's already saved the frame a few times, so I just get more confidence to try moves that could bash the frame good if I messed up. For that alone I run it.

17. poutine

poutine Guest

I run a nice 7 mm thick sheet of lexan formed to my downtube.Works awsome!rammed the downtube into a cement pole ( tried to tap it and last minute said fuck it but coudn't stop) and my protecter works awsome!

18. Elan

Elan steve french

i run a koxx levelboss. it doesnt dent ever.