beginnerish gear ratio

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by redneck_biker, Aug 23, 2004.

1. redneck_biker

redneck_biker Guest

OK so i have been riding for 2 and a half months almost and i can't get onto the back tire yet. Well i can pull it up but can't stay on it. Can't really bunnyhop like i can bunnyhop my back tire like maybe a inch on a good try. My gear ratio now that i use on my evolve is 22/16. Can someone tell me if thats a ok ratio or one that would be better.

2. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Holy fuck that's hard to turn...How about a 22/21 or a 22/19....I.e. go to an easier gear....pedaling it onto the rear will be much easier as will everything else....

3. redneck_biker

redneck_biker Guest

ok another thing i should tell you is that i don't have my derailer set up so that it like most you guys have like its tight and its pulled towards the bottem of the chain stay.

4. oicdn

oicdn Guest

^^^ What? It shouldn't matter how your derailleur is set-up, the gearing is the same feeling....this just means you have less slack in your chain if it's pulled tight/derailleur fully extended....

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

Try 22-19 or 22-17 or 22-18.

6. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

B1105 mentioned good gears to use but you should be able to pedalkick sucessfully with 22-16.

i can pedalkick around on my mate's 44/18 bmx bike.

7. Tanner

Tanner New Member

3' on my 45/15. Which is harder than a 47/16. yeeeah.

8. bwagner

bwagner New Member

This might be true for someone who can already pedal kick, but learning is much easier with a "Trials" gear set-up. The suggestion of a 22/19 to me is a good start, after a week or so, you should make at least a little progress, and by then you'll most likely be able to tell on your own if you think you need an easier or slightly harder gear. I'm not trying to sound like a "know-it-all", but I just remember that learning to pedal kick, or even just to get to rear whel was much easier with a little easier gear when I was starting out. Good luck regardless of your gear choice, and remember to have fun. Don't get too frustrated with this. It'll come to you eventually

9. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

my mate learned to pedalkick on his bmx at the same time i learned on my mountain bike. we progressed about the same speed until things needed to get accurate. but i dunno. my point was that you can learn to pedalkick with pretty much anything, and i doubt that 22/16 would make that much difference over 22/19 for a beginner trying to hop on the rear. from what i've seen it doesn't matter.

tanner - i can get like 2 feet. any longer and his gay brakes will probably make me loop out.

10. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

i started on 22-18 then to 32-24?? then to 22-19... this was all years ago, on mtb in the learning stages

it has come full circle in the last few years or so and I wonder why I even bothered changing from 22-18. Original and the best, just like KFC chicken.

11. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Well dude I started out riding with a very "easy" gear like 22-21. This gave me a lot of torque without effort.

Now I am a 22-18 wich I felt was needed to improve more.

I recomend starting out easier to develope good form(because it helps for this) and then as you get better and you feel like you need a harder gear go to 22-19 or 18 whatever feals comfortable.

One thing for shure is that 22-16 is much too hard for a beginer.

12. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

i find a heavier gear is easier for hubs that engage like crap.

13. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i started out w/ 22/23, and slowly kept moving up to 22/18...