BB spindle length for Echo Pure 2004?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by rider, Oct 28, 2004.

1. rider

rider New Member

New Echo Pure frame arrived. I have a set of XTR crankarms (not the hollow tech ones) and I need at new BB since the current one is way too tight (spindle length). Searching the Shimano site i found a XTR BB with maximium spindle length of 116 mm. Is this enough (i run a 22 cog infront) as far as width or ´do I need to look for something even wider?

Thanx

2. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

seeing as XTR is now two evolutions removed from square taper, perhaps you should check that you're not looking at the octalink BBs. Apparently raceface square tapers are very nice. You could just get a 118mm and not have to worry about it not fitting, you'll have a more re-usable BB then. Seeing as trials riders don't have to worry about setting up front derailleurs, you can use a wider BB with all its advantages.

- Joel

3. rider

rider New Member

I have the Octalink version, that much i know. I guess my question is really what spindle length the E. Pure needs if running 22 t since the chainstays are quite wide and the teeth are dangerously close grinding the inside of the stays.

4. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

well I run an ISIS BB on my pure and use a 113mm I think, works fine with 22t.

I'm not really sure whether you're running these cranks yet or not, if you are, and the BB spindle isn't long enough, just get the next size up ? Or estimate the required extra length from the lack of space you have now. I doubt you'll have anyone reply who uses those cranks on a pure, octalink systems aren't often used on trials bikes.

- Joel

5. rider

rider New Member

Well.. as it turned my cranks were also f#%cked. Splines were totally ruined. I have a pair of Truvativ Husselfelt laying around so I'll probably use these instead, even though the weigh a ton moore, and get myself a new ISIS BB instead. Im gonna go for something like 122 mm. Thanx anyhow...

Edit: Just ordered the Truvativ Gigapipe DH , 128 mm. Seems super wide but Im thinking it'll make balance even better.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004