Observed Trials banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kinda welder do i need to get to just put metals together... for example i have a gate that i want to put tighter 2x4” welded wire fencing onto, as right now it has giant hole the goats and pigs can skurt thru...

Mig ? tig ? wig ? nig ? big ? Whats the bomb... I’m not trying to make a bike frame just put together fences and fab metal shit on the farm... make some good burning man tin men dancing

·
From your head to your fists
4,302 Posts
Cheapest, messiest, hardest to use is a stick welder. They're an excellent tool that can do magic if you know what you're doing. I hate them. You might struggle if you're welding wire to things. I find them hard to get started, hard to control where the weld pool is, and hard to control the heat, so welding a wire mesh to a gate with one would irritate the shit out of me and I'd do a pretty bad job of it.

Less cheap, less messy, easier to use is a mig with flux core. It's probably what I'd suggest. They work fine, very easy to use unless you're welding thin stuff. Get one with a good amount of grunt.

If you want to spend lots of money then mig with gas. At this point you're renting/buying gas bottles so you'd want to be using it a lot. They're cheating, very little skill required. Get the settings right and you can stick anything together.

If you want to buy the wrong welder then buy a tig. they're delicate, clean, slow, controlled, and harder to learn. Good for thin steel, areas where you need to manage heat, or if you need to spend hours getting the weld perfect. Not for farm gates or burning man sculptures. Like getting a calligrapher to make a cardboard sign for your garage sale.

Watch a few youtube videos on welding to get the basic idea down. It's easy to understand, balancing the power you throw at it and the material you throw at it. But there's a little bit to know to get good strong reliable welds. Then just fang it, it's obvious once you figure it out.

Welding fumes are horrible for you at the best of times, never do it in an enclosed space without ventilation or a respirator, but fumes from welding galvanised steel are by far the worst and if you're gonna be welding wire mesh to a gate then they'll both be galv. Don't forget to grind off galv from where you're welding, and have heaps of ventilation. That shit is bad for you. You can definitely weld galved stuff without prep but it's harder to get a decent arc going and you need to do it in open air with a strong fan blowing the smoke away from you and while wearing a respirator.

And buy an auto darkening welding helmet. So much easier.

·
tda
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheapest, messiest, hardest to use is a stick welder. They're an excellent tool that can do magic if you know what you're doing. I hate them. You might struggle if you're welding wire to things. I find them hard to get started, hard to control where the weld pool is, and hard to control the heat, so welding a wire mesh to a gate with one would irritate the shit out of me and I'd do a pretty bad job of it.

Less cheap, less messy, easier to use is a mig with flux core. It's probably what I'd suggest. They work fine, very easy to use unless you're welding thin stuff. Get one with a good amount of grunt.

If you want to spend lots of money then mig with gas. At this point you're renting/buying gas bottles so you'd want to be using it a lot. They're cheating, very little skill required. Get the settings right and you can stick anything together.

If you want to buy the wrong welder then buy a tig. they're delicate, clean, slow, controlled, and harder to learn. Good for thin steel, areas where you need to manage heat, or if you need to spend hours getting the weld perfect. Not for farm gates or burning man sculptures. Like getting a calligrapher to make a cardboard sign for your garage sale.

Watch a few youtube videos on welding to get the basic idea down. It's easy to understand, balancing the power you throw at it and the material you throw at it. But there's a little bit to know to get good strong reliable welds. Then just fang it, it's obvious once you figure it out.

Welding fumes are horrible for you at the best of times, never do it in an enclosed space without ventilation or a respirator, but fumes from welding galvanised steel are by far the worst and if you're gonna be welding wire mesh to a gate then they'll both be galv. Don't forget to grind off galv from where you're welding, and have heaps of ventilation. That shit is bad for you. You can definitely weld galved stuff without prep but it's harder to get a decent arc going and you need to do it in open air with a strong fan blowing the smoke away from you and while wearing a respirator.

And buy an auto darkening welding helmet. So much easier.
bad assssss

·
wish i could pedal hop
561 Posts

Something like this
Mig/tig/stick and will run flux core
Get an angle grinder with flapper wheels, cutting disc and grinding rocks
Then burn rods and wire until you get it
Mig when you can do things clean, or tig
Stick can be used about anywhere if running 6010
7018 if cleaned

Definitely Agee with auto darkening helmet