bashring project

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by bwagner, Aug 18, 2004.

1. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Heres a picture of my homemade bashring, well not actually homemade, but I made it at work. i used only manual machines, nothing fancy, so it's not as nice as some, but it works awesome. I machined the back of the crank spider a little bit so that I could use the current BB spindle length and still have clearance between my stays and chainring. I've been running it for a few weeks now, i miss pedal up a lot and it's holding up very well, Oh, and i also weigh in at around 200. not too bad for a few hours labor I think. Oh, and thanks Bill for the comment about the marks!! The outer most ones are actually on purpose, but the ones on the inside part are due to my shoddy machine skills!! The next one will have a nicer pattern on the O.D. and also a little nicer finishing on the face!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  2. bwagner

bwagner New Member

18 views, and not a single comment?? Thats wierd, doesn't someone want to tell me what's wrong with it??:)

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

You can see machine marks :squint: Just kidding, it looks good, and if you saved money... then good for you :).

Bill

4. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea it looks cool..... the mounting system looks like evils new design for chase and them guys

5. Lagerhead

Lagerhead New Member

Umm, isn't your tire on backwards?:joshers:

JK, Anyway, I like the clean look of it. I've always been concerned with sliding back off of stuff (like on a missed pedal up) with a smooth bash ring. Of course my toothy bash rings seem to slide off every time I miss too.

Side note, did you get your BT yet? and where did you get your avatar picture?

6. bwagner

bwagner New Member

LAGER,
    My frame will be here this coming Friday. I'm psyched as shit, and I'm not sure where the avatar picture came from! I just found it on my computer a few minutes ago!! In a few days, it'll be an actually pic of my new ride I hope!! I like the wierd paint job though, i think I might be the only one who likes it!!Mine is going to be white though, nothing fancy.

7. Lagerhead

Lagerhead New Member

I like the lightening motif one also. I can't wait to see what else the guy comes up with. Sorry for the hi-jack.

8. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

since hoffman bashrings arent available over here it looks like you just cured the problem behind running 4 bolt cranks! well done.

9. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

Damn - that four-bolt crank mod is slick. I've got the same cranks, gonna have to do the same when I get back to school. Thanks for the idea -

10. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

any chance we can get some more pics?

11. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i like how it's a plate and not a ring so you can't see through to the chainring, makes everything look 1000x cleaner.

nice work - i think it would look better with machine marks.

12. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

13. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

hahahaha, frisbee bash skee-oh-voney! that was hilarious the germans making fun of that and then when you threw out some big ups they all got quiet.

14. Orkje

Orkje New Member

Nice work man! Looks quite strong!

15. Bigman 86

Bigman 86 Bigman, Because i am ;)

That looks like a veyr sweet bash. i was going to make one using my old college tools, had it all designed and everything but i never made it, dunno y.

Oh and your avatar pic of of a guy called nick (prawn on the forums) and is a good mate of mine, his 5.0 is acutaly on of the prototype ones, and IMO i much prefer the ride of my 4.0 to it, but any way, back to the topic.

16. bwagner

bwagner New Member

I'll post a few more this weekend after I build up my new bike, that way I can take a few from all around for more detail

17. bwagner

bwagner New Member

The easiest way to do the crank arm mod is to put your bottom bracket in the cranks out of the bike, put a live center in the tailstock of the lathe, and use an 8mm socket in the jaws of the lathe chuck, on the end that goes to the chuck just leave the large 8mm allen bolt in there, and the opposite end just letthe point of the live center go into the hole in the end of the bb axle. That way the cranks are turning on the same axis as when they're actually mounted to the bike, and you get no extra marks ,or undue stress for the spider by trying to clamp it in the lathes jaws. I'll post pics later to simplify this operation. Thanks for the comments guys.
    ~Bruce Wagner

18. PJL

PJL War is Peace

Ditto. Nice job.

19. aka Mr Floyd

aka Mr Floyd New Member

I've made a good number of those things over the years, so I appreciate the time it takes and it came out looking great (you don't polish something you're just going to wack on rocks all day). With the tight fit you machined over the spider, it's going to be very strong... Looks great, keep more custom stuff coming.

Todd

20. klophaus

klophaus Guest

Nice job, always used to fool around with stuff like that. Wish I still had access to a machine shop.