bashplate mounting

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by T(tidge)-Master, Oct 10, 2004.

1. T(tidge)-Master

T(tidge)-Master Guest

hi just wondering would it be a stupid idea to weld a new bashplate mounting onto a T-master as i snapped mine yesterday!!!

2. unlimits

unlimits New Member

I think if it's iron or steel it's easy to do a good weld, but if it's aluminum (I think the most probably) I don't know if it can be done but it would be rare and more difficult...

3. T(tidge)-Master

T(tidge)-Master Guest

yes it can be done but only by profesionals because it needs a certen welder. i was just wondering if it would be a stupid idea to do it due to weakining the frame or just to get a new frame.

4. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

thats a great idea now once you wear it down or dent it or something you only have to saw through your frame to get it off

5. dave 85

dave 85 Guest

i think he wants a new bash mount, not to weld the whole plate straight onto the frame.

6. besham

besham Guest

I might try to thread new holes direcly into your bb (dont go through the bb threads) and use a chunk of plastic or somthing as a spacer with long bolts going through your bash and spacer. I have no Idea if that would really work but it sounded cool in my head. I would just get creative because your frame might be trashed anyway.

ps. I wouldnt weld it because the bb area is probably the weakest place on your frame already.

7. Tanner

Tanner New Member

ride without a bash. the chances of weakening the frame due to tig welding are up there if its aluminum. If its steel, go for it. Tig weld it on DC- and let 'er rip. If its aluminum, forget about it. Its not worth it

8. T(tidge)-Master

T(tidge)-Master Guest

but then what would i do if i didnt have a bash and needed iti would destroy my freewheels.

9. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

No... just run a bashring like stocks do.

The Echo ones are the burliest, go for one of those. Rip it up Craig Lee Scott style.

10. T(tidge)-Master

T(tidge)-Master Guest

i was thinking of getting a back cassett hub then chain/bashring but its gunna cost too much money

11. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

So then keep your front freewheel, and run a freewheel bashring with that, on your cranks that you have right now.

12. T(tidge)-Master

T(tidge)-Master Guest

i never thought of that i will try it and see what happens