Barrel adjuster on rear der.....

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by jmkimmel, Apr 11, 2004.

1. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

Does anybody have any ideas for using something for a barrel adjuster that wouldn't break every five minutes? I missed a sidehop today, and bailed midway - just set my bike down on the edge, and jumped off, but it still landed on the barrel adjuster, and its toast. Hmm.....maybe weld a little guard to the der. body that covers the adjuster.
    Anybody got ideas?
    Jeremy

2. daveN

daveN New Member

use a brake noodle. You won't have any adjustment from it but it just moves out of the way when you hit it on stuff then returns back into position

3. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

Avid Rollamajig.

Take the barrel adjuster completely off and use the Rollathingy instead. Same effect as the suggested brake noodle, just flops right outta the way. Will work better if you still have an adjuster at the shifter.

4. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

yea a brake noodle works very very well... ive been using one on the rear D. for as long as i can remember

5. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

excuse my ignorance, what is a barrel adjuster?

6. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

It allows you to make minor adjustments to where your derailleur sits. So if its not right on the gear, you can screw it in or out and line it up perfectly.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

the thing where the cable housing goes into the derailler....

8. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

OOOOOh XTR it is sooo beutifull. :yum:

9. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

yeah, right right. i get it now :slap: i call it "the adjuster thingee that turns"

i just had a look at mine, in the perfect place to snap off if i land on the thing :ugh2:

10. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

If you guys suggest using a brake noodle, why not just leave on the broken barrel adjuster - same effect of flopping around. However, the way that the housing back there flops around now seems to make my chain skip (i think it moves enough while i'm on the rear to actually pull the der. around) Maybe the chain skipping is from something else.....
    Thanks for all the help -
    Jeremy

11. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

I have a XTR deraillier. I boke the barrel adjuster a long time ago. At any rate what you want to do is get the Avid Roller Magic. It will work like a charm. The cable/housing will go into the Avid Roller Magic and then the bare cable comes out straight into the derailluer.[​IMG]

12. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

Check out your options at the following link. There are both inline adjusters and adjusers that sit in a cable stop:
    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=430

I replaced my barrel adjuster with a noodle and then went to a shop and got an adjuster out of their spart parts bin. After telling them many times what I was wanting, the guy finally pulled out the exact part that I had been looking for:

[​IMG]

13. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Get sram. They have a slightly smarter solution to it..
    Though the rest of them may be crap. I don't know. Never tried them.