Bar extensions....

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by xxxfr, Jun 17, 2004.

1. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

I have a bar with a real comfortable sweep, how can i make/where can i buy bar extensions to make my bars like 1-2" wider??

2. Abbwoman

Abbwoman Mayor of Fold City

well i dont like the idea of it but if you wana try you can,
    you might be able to take 2 pipes, 1 the same size of the bar, and 1 just small enough to fit inside the bar. and put the smaller inside of the handlebars and the pipe in the middle and weld em together.
    My atempt at a diagram...

pipe / handlebars
    ----____--------
    ----'''''''''''--------
    smaller pipe

you could try it but there is no guaranty of how strong they would be, could be asking for trouble.
    -Adam

3. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Buy a wider bar and save yourself pain.

4. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

try-all is 29 inches. but some dont like the idea of the standard mtb stem size. check out the oversized echo/zoo setup or i think monty makes some green colored bars.

5. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i run riser bars.....

6. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

try-all has like a 1 inch rise to it. Im not sure but I think the monty's do to.

7. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

contact a machine shop and tell them you what you want. they can pop out something in a laith that will take like 5 minutes. good luck with it all.

8. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea, i have access to a lathe, and i can make them, i just throught that buying them would be easier....

9. [BMF]Andy

[BMF]Andy New Member

I used wooden ones for awhile without trouble. Just sand down a dowl and wedge it in there. This wouldn't be buying them though.

10. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

hahah.....now thats scary

11. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

ok, buy new a new tryall bar or some other gold plated piece. then cut them apart brutaly with a hack saw then tape/glue the new extentions to your "comfortable" bar.. and, boom no sweat ;)

12. Ryden

Ryden Guest

IMO, the best thing to do would be to get a good try/all or echo bar. Then just put up with uncomfortable-ness for a couple sessions. You will be used to it in no time. Then you can just buy normal bars in the future. All good things will come in time.

13. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

BenR (on this site) has extensions on a set of monty bars. they are like what adman describled, i dont know if it is welded or not though, i think just wedged in and maybe epoxy'd. i think he said they came out to a full inch of extension, im not sure if things much longer than that would be too safe.

14. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

if you use lock-ons you could feel MUCH safer i imagine. Heck, if its less than an inch on each side you want that might be fine without any extensions.

15. Peace

Peace pedocrab

get tryalls, you be wondering why you didnt change earlier after you get used to em.... i did, and everyone i know who got em did too.
    Peace

16. Justin.L

Justin.L Guest

get tryalls man. they are the most comfortable bars in my opinion. and also theyre pimp. go get one off graham. you wont regret it.

17. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i have a 31.8 stem.................tryalls = 25.4

18. nidoss

nidoss Guest

speaking of the try all bars, when are the new ones suppose to be out? i talked with Todd at webcyclery and he said in a week or two and its been about a week or two and im getting antsy.

19. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

OH MY GOSH><><><> something is running late in the bike industry?!?!?! stop the presses!!!

just joking, they are comign from the other side of the planet. it takes time. stuff should supposedly be here in about a week or so.

20. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea.....everything is late.....including my zebdi frame....just got bumped up til monday :mad::wtf: DAMN UPS!!!! any way....im going to make some cheesy bar extensions, if i like it, and if they give me a prob....ill order some wider bars...