avid

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by djfm, Apr 29, 2004.

1. djfm

djfm Guest

I know this has been asked a hundred times before .Just wanted peoples opinion on the avid cable disc .Does it really have stopping power as good as a hydro brakes?
    thanks

2. Elan

Elan steve french

best disc brake ever

3. average mike

average mike Guest

Yes, the stopping power is better than my old Louise was. They rock.

4. bigd

bigd Guest

yes, get them. the 160 is ok, get the 185 with EBC red pads. you will want to sex them.

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

whateveryone else said. or you can be a ballah and roll with some 203's and avid prototype pads... just get the 185 brake though seriously, it rocks. put it to a good lever (xtr) and cream your jeans.

6. durkie

durkie Member

so then, i too can roll with some avid prototype pads?

7. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

they never made them. the stock pads work fine. if you dont ride in the cold or wet, the ebc reds are good. if you do then the ebc golds are good too.

8. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

as long as you don't use a speed dial lever they are kick ass. avid even has a new cheap ass lever without speed dial that feels awesome with teh discs. rode on them this weekend. they are light as hell too.

edit: the levers are light, not the brakes.

9. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Avid is the way to go. I got mine before I heard all of this so I'm even more glad with my chioce. Plus they kick ass.

10. dingus

dingus Member

why no speed dial dolphin?

I had mine hooked up to SD-7s and used the speed dial to make the front and rear feel identical- I had an old 165 on the front which was more flexy than the newer style 160 in back- back in the dual disc days.

Once, with totally worn, slipping pads I dialed the thing to full leverage and it made them stop atleast. I usually left the speed dial all the way out though and they felt nice and firm.

EBC red pads worked very well for me, I never used them on the front except in combination with another Avid pad, together in the back they were very strong.

11. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

soon i will be getting an avid mechanical with some xtr levers and housing, should be awesome. best disc that i've ever tried (avid juicy is up to par though, but will cost you much more) oh yes, you guys say get the 185mm rotor? i am on mod, would 160 be ok? also, im real light so...? :bigthumb:

12. dingus

dingus Member

just bringing this topic to the top again,
    Im wondering why you dont like speed-dial with avid discs?
    thankyou
    ...now to go dl the coust teaser

13. Ryden

Ryden Guest

I have speed dial 7s. I have no idea what makes a lever good or bad, I haven't tried enough to know. But I think they feel nice and solid, not much flex etc. But then again I am horrible..

14. durkie

durkie Member

it might be that the speed dial levers have a lot more play in the lever blade than those without. i know this is a big thing with avid levers...

15. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

I had sd7 levers with my avid mech 7 inch front and 8 inch rear discs. They gave ok power. but the levers have shit ergonomics, are flexier, more play etc. Got some xtrs and boom! They feel wayyyy better.

16. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

oh and Kevin what was different about the prototype avid pads?