Avid ultimates?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Bigman 86, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Bigman 86

Bigman 86 Bigman, Because i am ;)

What are these brakes like, i have found a good offer on a rear one, what would it be like coupled with spanish fly pads, and SD5 lever and an XTR booster on a ground rim?
    This is for rear by the way.

2. Ryden

Ryden Guest

I'd say they'd be pretty kickass. I just got an sd7 for the rear, and without even getting around to grinding my new rim they brake pretty well for v's. So I imagine that the ultimate would be even better, and with a booster, grinding and all that no worries man.

3. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

It would be the best braking possible.!!!!!!! Out of a V-brake.

Seriously get it.

I just recently tried someones and it was even better than my Sd-7.

Go for it.

4. Elan

Elan steve french

the sd-5 lever is the sucks.... it wil lwork well, because my cousin had basically the same setup. over some time, you will want to get a better lever... but the ultiamte brake arms are the ultimate...cartridge bearings. soo smooth and reliable.

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

If you get, try the XTRs, their cheaper than Ultimates and work awesome. The blade lever is the perfect size for your index finger and their about 65 bucks a pair.

6. Elan

Elan steve french

imo the only avid stuff worth owning is the ultimate, mech dics, and juicy..other than that shimano makes better levers

7. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

that is essentially my set up now and i have absolutely no complaints... and i complain a ton as people who know me can testify. the set up is great stuff. get it.

8. Elan

Elan steve french

damnit kevin, you ruined my whole post.!!!!

yes, your brakes do work exceptionaly well too. i thought you had ultimate lever?

9. WhiteRavenKS

yeah but i run an xtr from time to time to stir things up.

10. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Kevin's got more parts than WebCyclery, he's in and out of parts three times before i notice the new parts.

11. Elan

Elan steve french

ah, i see.... back to magura now. ahahaha... i am lame

12. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

sounds good, but get the SD7 lever if you can, its quite an improvement over the SD5.

I'm getting so fuckin tired of these spanish fly pads, they worked great at first but now I can only ride them for about 30min of minimal use before they dont work anymore. Then I gotta clean my rim and pads again, perhaps its dust season or something.

13. WhiteRavenKS

no do not get the sd 7 lever... go xt or xtr over the avid levers (excluding the ultimate).

you need to lay down fresh grinds often to keep the flies happy.

14. Elan

Elan steve french

XT>SD7, and in some cases cheaper...XTR=you will never have to worry about your brake levers. ultimate = more $ than you have

15. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

xtr lever vs ultimate? i've only had experience with the xtr and it felt better than my sd7s. ultimates up to par?

16. Elan

Elan steve french

i recently traded my ultimate for a XTR lever, long story..the ultiamte is just a better lever. no way around it..i cant say they are worth the $100 more, but they are just really nice.

17. Bigman 86

Bigman 86 Bigman, Because i am ;)

So what i gather from every one is that the are the dogs bollocks.
    If they are going to be as good as many of u have said i might have to invest in them and give them a try.

Thanks every one
    Adam.

18. Elan

Elan steve french

you will be very happy in a year when they still work like new and you forgot that you had that extra $120 laying around.