Avid SD Ti brakes vs Magura HS 33?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by B1105, Feb 18, 2004.

1. B1105

B1105 New Member

Hey there, I ahve a set of Avid SD Tis which work really well, but I'm curious how the HS-33s compare. It seems everyone uses them for the rear and if i were to get serious, should i sell my Tis and get the 33s or has anybody able to get advanced with v brakes set up well?

Thanks
    Byron

2. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

If you have that nice of V brakes, stick with them, get some decent pads. Maybe decent levers, along the lines of XT, XTR, and some decent housing and cable, such as XTR and you are set.

I love my HS33's, but a nice set of V's are great too run as well, and there is no real performance advantage of the HS33's over the V's. I just prefer the lever feel, and predictability of my brakes.

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Put an XTR lever and housing on that...you will be fine.

4. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

An XTR lever and cable will make anything cable actuated work really well. If you want to spend a ton of money the Avid ultimate levers are good too, but i don't think they're worth the extra cash.

HS-33 = suck.

5. Elan

Elan steve french

avid ultimates are a good lever, but not a good buy...

6. JK

JK New Member

I've been using an LX lever on the back this winter, mostly because HS-33s suck in freezing weather. I think it's the best feeling v-brake lever I have used. It is definitely the most ergonomic lever out of all of the Avid or Shimano levers. And they are cheap (I got a pair barely used for $20).

I'm not a huge fan of the XTR or XT levers. They are an older, crappier design. I would definitely prefer to use a LX lever instead.

7. Pancho

Pancho New Member

I thought LX and XT levers were the same mechanics, just with different materials?

8. Elan

Elan steve french

the lx all have the little adjuster thingamijigger..the XT doesnt, i think xt and atr are the same design.

9. JK

JK New Member

XT has some weird "servo-wave" that makes the brake feel mushy, and plus the reach adjustment sucks. I know because I'm using an XT on the front right now. I had to do some crazy mods to it to make it usable.

The LX is a totally different design, with the cable being attached to the end of the inside of the lever blade. Completely different from the XT, XTR levers, where the cable is attched in a more conventional way at the beginning of the lever blade.

10. Elan

Elan steve french

TRA uses an XT.. bitches. haha

11. JK

JK New Member

Oh yeah, the adjuster thingy on the LX is completely useless. Just keep it at "low". I don't know why they even put that adjustment in there as all it does is make your brake completely crap.

12. Elan

Elan steve french

ah, fuck that, i use avid ultimates, which are better than shimano Lxs...i think.

13. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

I have used LX before. They are nicer than any avid lever with the exception of the ultimate. For the money they are great, but they don't compete with the XT/XTR when it comes to preformance. The reason an XT lever might feel mushy could be because the brake itself is flexing too much. The XT/XTR's have so much leverage that this can deffinately happen. If you use an XT/XTR lever with a mech disc, there with be no mush whatsoever. It should feel better than a hydro.

14. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

mufwahahahaahhaha, well I live in sunny California, so no freezing for us!! unless your in the mountains!! (our winters are only rain, and its not bad rain at all, its warm) :joshers: doesnt start to rain from about march/ april to september..we dont have "winter" its just a long autumn!! :bigthumb:

15. streetnutter

streetnutter Guest

I'm changing back to a set of v's. Me magura is playing up and I've got a mice avid arch rival on the way and as I used a crappy v brake today with a lx lever and it was fine with hardly any cable stretch.

My rear brake will be a avid arch rival 50 with xtr cables and housing and an lx lever> Would this hold well enough for the rear considering I'm not that heavy at 9 stone.

Bill