Avid Mechanical or Deore M525?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by JohanKA, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Avid front/Deore rear

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Deore front/Avid rear (would be a hassle)

4.8%
  3. Avid front/Avid rear

57.1%
  4. Stick with vees rear

38.1%
  1. JohanKA

JohanKA Guest

[​IMG] VS [​IMG]
    So, there're two nice brakes beeing sold used here, an Avid mech front, and a Deore M525 rear. (But they are interchangable front/rear right?). I currenctly have an Avid mech at the front and LX levers. I have a LX rear veebrake with a boster and a ground rim, but eventually you're going to wear down the rim with vees right? So It'll be disc sooner or later anyways.

I use the bike to bomb through the gnarliest trails I can find (up and down), I also ride some street and trials. (I'm a beginner though, I've only managed 5hops at my rearwheel yet...but then again I've only practised two days) ;D

What speaks for the deore is better modulation? Which might be nice for manuals/wheelies. The Avid is cheaper especially since I've got a lever, and I suspect it has better stopping power, which is good for trials. But It's a front one, so I'll have to buy an adapter to fit it at the rear?

2. Tanner

Tanner New Member

avid mech hands down.

3. goose

goose New Member

honestly

My GF had a set of the Deore Hydros, they're OK. But if you have nice levers, and you lube/change cables often, AVIDS are just WAY nicer to deal with, and have plenty of power and modulation. I'm not sure the deore will be that much better in modulation, as it's a 2 piston design. The XT was a quad piston, and rumored to have excellent modulation. Anyways, I've had loads of hydros (magura julie, hayes mags, shimano Deore) and several mechanicals (hayes, shimano, avid), and I'll say for sure that I prefer the adjustability, simplicity, and light weight (compared to hydros) of the avid mechanical.

I've got on the front of my trials rig, and it's staying there. I consider it the perfect front brake (I've never tried a marta SL, though:) ).

4. Ryden

Ryden Guest

A plus of putting a rear disk on though. You can quickly convert your trials bike into two unicycles.

5. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Deore's suck ass..>Avid hands down....

6. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

Oops, i clicked the wrong one... but... Avid cable front, anything but a disc at the rear (HS33s are more popular, for good reason)

7. JohanKA

JohanKA Guest

So, basicly just stick with my Avid in front and get better vees. Maybe some snazzy xtr levers too :D But, doesn't the pads kill the rim in the long run?

8. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Pads kiling rim? No....

XTR levers are a must for Avid Mech. My mech blows the rats ass off my friends hydro's (hayes, avid, shimano, hope). You will be very pleased with an avid 7" rotor (or even 6") and some nice levers. Good housing is better, but if you get the normal Shimano stuff that most bike shops carry that also should be fine.

9. Cole

Cole New Member

Umm...riding trails with v brakes will eventually wear down your rim, but only if you ride them for several years or in lots of mud. By then your rims will probably be beat to rubble anyway. If you are going to start doing lots of trials get a good v's in back and keep the avid in front. If you want to ride street or trails, get the avid discs front and back.

10. JohanKA

JohanKA Guest

Well, I try to do a bit of everything. Including severely muddy trails :)
    I guess the avid will work ok for some trials too?

Vees in mud ain't that nice.

11. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Avid rear is going to ruin your frame if you trials on it. I'd still sugest going vee in the rear avid up front. Seeing as your front brake gives like 80% of your stopping power, and that on trails you go pretty fast, you shouldn't need too much of a rear brake. Avid mech is more than enough to slow you down from 20 MPH to 0 in about 10 feet distance :bigthumb:

12. JohanKA

JohanKA Guest

"Avid rear is going to ruin your frame if you trials on it."
    Howsit going to do that? :)

Seems like I'll be using vees a bit longer. But I suspect that my ground rim is eating my pads when I do some downhilling :S I guess downhill and grindig doesn't go well together. But atleast it was fun to massacrate the rim.

13. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

the forces of pedal kicks (in general) will want to rip the disc tab off of your frame. Story short after about af few months of trials your frame will snap/crack. if it's designed for trials use (and disc...ie megamo) maybe a year?

yeah, DH and GRIND don't go well together. I suggest picking up a cheap mod (x alp) just to start on, so that you don't have to deal with all of this all in one bike schtuff. speaking of cheap mods i happen to have an x lite sitting in my garage with no use ;)

14. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

or if you wanto to spend alot of time with your bike..buy a rear avid and swap it on and off for when you want to ride trials/dh. you could even leave your rotor and such on there and just swap levers and cables, sortof a hassle, but if you want a do-it-all bike..

15. Elan

Elan steve french

do it all bikes suck at everything

16. JohanKA

JohanKA Guest

But I'm mostly into street and don't backhopp n stuff that much. Then discs rear wouldn't kill my frame?

17. Peace

Peace pedocrab

you put a disk in the rear, it will break the frame eventually, the wheel wants you move back when you land a gap, do an up anything really. dont do it, my mate has his vees set up better than any disk or magura i have felt! so dont worry bout that, and vees are fucking powerfull with the right setup!
    Peace