Avid Levers vs Shimano Levers

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by B1105, Mar 17, 2004.

1. B1105

B1105 New Member

I'm using Avid SD Ti brakes front and rear, and need some new levers. I'm currently using these crappy LX levers, with the horrible feel. I'm thinking the Avid SD SL or Shimano XT or XTR. Any suggestions? Need something with one finger braking and such. I think XTRs are the prefered choice(or so it seems), but of the avids I've used, they feel good also.

Thanks,

Byron

2. bigd

bigd Guest

i dont like the feel of avid levers, the ultimates are deigned differently though. xt and xtr are the same cut, but the xtrs are nicer and look killa. get them, solid levers for the buck.

3. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

XTRs are very good.

4. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

for adjustability i'd say avids. but avid levers have these massive fuckin lever blades. so i ground mine down so they were nice and ergonomic.

xtr's have wayyyyy better ergonomics but aren't quite as adjustable. but are definitely nice as they use bearings instead of bushings for the pivot..

5. KenC

KenC Member

The best thing to do is to go and try them. I personally hate the way the Shimano levers feel, but I love the way the Avids feel. It's all preference. Both levers have their pros and cons, so in my opinion, go with the ones that fit your hands better.

6. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

When i had Avid SD levers on my Avid mech. disc the brake sucked. I switched to XTR levers and it turned into the best brake in the world.

7. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

i cant stand the shape of the avid lever blades. the ultimates are a little different and i like them fine. the shape of the xtr levers is hard to match if you ask me... some of the best levers ever. you know what sucks? maggie stock levers and try-all isis cranks.

8. bigd

bigd Guest

yeah, note that the ultimate levers are different than all of the other avid levers. for me its a toss up between ultimates and xtr for feel. but xtr is like half the price.

9. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Ugh XT levers suck balls. Not enough clearance for the cable end to move smoothly...it locked up once & threw me on my back :down:

10. Elan

Elan steve french

the only avid lever i will ever touch is the ultimate..other than that. shimano all the way.

11. el feo

el feo Guest

xt = good Xtr and ultamate = too much money for my poor mountain ass

12. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

front freewheel eh kevin? yea that came on my equip and it quickly got tossed aside for my bonz isis and king iso...

i wanna try the esp levers at some point too..

13. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

sram levers? save your money.

this try-all ffw set up is trash. i tried throwing it away and the garbage can chucked it back at me.

14. Elan

Elan steve french

wtf, whats is wrong with that try-all shit? kidna makes me happy that i stuck with king and RF LPs... fyi dave, teh sram levers feel like absolute POO..the worst lever ever.

15. bigd

bigd Guest

ive wondered about the 9.0 levers, they have a really comfy lever blade design.

byt the idea of pulling THAT hars d on a plastic levers makes me uncomfortable.

well shit its st PATRICKS CADAYT SO DRUNK UP LADS.

:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

16. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

i tried a xtr lever today, it's sick. avid is poo compared to xtr

17. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

I have XTR levers and they are the BEST.......Period.......

18. CoppellStereo

CoppellStereo Ruff Rider

I have avid TIs, and I like them a lot. But the housing, and greasing of the cables is the key. even with the best of levers, dry housing will make your breaking suck :eek:

19. Elan

Elan steve french

thats why treu playas wear xtr cable and housing on their rides. word