Observed Trials banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using Avid SD Ti brakes front and rear, and need some new levers. I'm currently using these crappy LX levers, with the horrible feel. I'm thinking the Avid SD SL or Shimano XT or XTR. Any suggestions? Need something with one finger braking and such. I think XTRs are the prefered choice(or so it seems), but of the avids I've used, they feel good also.

Thanks,

Byron

·
Registered
238 Posts
i dont like the feel of avid levers, the ultimates are deigned differently though. xt and xtr are the same cut, but the xtrs are nicer and look killa. get them, solid levers for the buck.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
for adjustability i'd say avids. but avid levers have these massive fuckin lever blades. so i ground mine down so they were nice and ergonomic.

xtr's have wayyyyy better ergonomics but aren't quite as adjustable. but are definitely nice as they use bearings instead of bushings for the pivot..

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
The best thing to do is to go and try them. I personally hate the way the Shimano levers feel, but I love the way the Avids feel. It's all preference. Both levers have their pros and cons, so in my opinion, go with the ones that fit your hands better.

·
Youth in Asia?
525 Posts
When i had Avid SD levers on my Avid mech. disc the brake sucked. I switched to XTR levers and it turned into the best brake in the world.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
i cant stand the shape of the avid lever blades. the ultimates are a little different and i like them fine. the shape of the xtr levers is hard to match if you ask me... some of the best levers ever. you know what sucks? maggie stock levers and try-all isis cranks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
yeah, note that the ultimate levers are different than all of the other avid levers. for me its a toss up between ultimates and xtr for feel. but xtr is like half the price.

·
TrialsPads.com
4,434 Posts
Ugh XT levers suck balls. Not enough clearance for the cable end to move smoothly...it locked up once & threw me on my back :down:

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
sram levers? save your money.

this try-all ffw set up is trash. i tried throwing it away and the garbage can chucked it back at me.

·
steve french
9,748 Posts
wtf, whats is wrong with that try-all shit? kidna makes me happy that i stuck with king and RF LPs... fyi dave, teh sram levers feel like absolute POO..the worst lever ever.

·
Registered
238 Posts
ive wondered about the 9.0 levers, they have a really comfy lever blade design.

byt the idea of pulling THAT hars d on a plastic levers makes me uncomfortable.

well shit its st PATRICKS CADAYT SO DRUNK UP LADS.

:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

·
Ruff Rider
2,781 Posts
I have avid TIs, and I like them a lot. But the housing, and greasing of the cables is the key. even with the best of levers, dry housing will make your breaking suck :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts