Observed Trials banner

avid juicy 7: early review

4K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  WhiteRavenKS 
K so I know they use the same pads as the avid cable disks. Do they use those same shady h spring deals to hold the pads in? God I hope not. Biggest con right there if they do.

CON - WITH ALL THE AMAZINGNESS OF THIS BRAKE WHY DO THEY HAVE TO INSIST ON USING THAT HORRIBLE, NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS H SPRING TO HOLD THE PADS IN?

With that said I will be using them front and rear as soon as possible. But I may be magnetizing some shit if I find a way...

Just the little things. I came from maguras that you just slid in and its done. With the avids as the pads start to wear down more and more it becomes a lot more difficult. They are also very easy to bend. Lower the pads are the better chance that little piece will rub. Both of mine have a slight rub goin and it just bothers me. Its not really a big deal, but when you spend that much money on a disk brake why do they use possibly the most horrible design idea you could think of to hold the pads in?

I guess I was just expecting the world's best, easiest, fasted, least maintenance pad installation from the best brake. I may have to dust off my thinking cap when I get these and see what I can come up with.

Ya like I said, my brakes are on order and I'm impatiently waiting. Just one of those things I was hoping would disappear. Avid sells those springs in boxes of 10. I just ordered one of those and just need to pick it up as for whatever reason no one in Vic. wants anything to do with Avid. Probably cause of all the huckers who can't see the difference between the Avid and the cheap Shimano cable disk.

Well I managed to get one full real trials ride on these. They broke in amazingly. Right out of the box I could ride trials with the red pads. So I go to pull my bike out of my shed the next week to ride. Dot fluid all over my rear rotor.

I'm really not too impressed at this point. For something that is the same weight as a Magura Louise but twice the cost I dunno.

I guess for some reason I got caught in all the hype and assumed they would never leak. My maguras always lasted me a few months. The rear Avid lasted me one ride. Not impressed at all. Guess its back to the cable disks.

With the kidding aside I'm starting to wonder that myself. I really have no idea how any seals really work and if there is force applied to them, but most rear tabs can't handle the force of a rear disk when used for trials, maybe that same force is on the seal and it just can't take it? I really have no idea at all.

I just cleaned it all up and its coming from the seal under the pad on the spoke side. I have the option of sending it in on monday for warranty. I think I'm gonna see what it feels like riding it as is today and see if I can hold out on it possibly. Even with the oil coating the rotor as long as I rode honestly (the brakes are really powerful and will hold a lot better than most, so when some people are slipping cause they arent right where they should be mine will stay locked. I call it honest when you rely less on your brakes and stick the tire right where it should be) the brakes would hold enough to do trials on. So maybe the leak won't be too known right away with it all clean. I dunno. I wanted them front and rear for Motorama.

I wouldn't recommend a rear disk to anyone. Maybe 1 in 10 people can actually stand the feel of it. Then throw in that they weigh more, get in the way if you go to the left, and all the potential other problems with frames and leaks and all that and not too many people are interested.

I happen to love it but it makes for a very stressful time. The cable avids weigh in aboots the same as the hydro ones and lock up wicked. But I am also a sucker for the feel of a hydro. Maybe I just got a really bad one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.