Avid disc questions...

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Lagerhead, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Lagerhead

Lagerhead New Member

I think I'm finally going to go ahead and get a front disc for my stock bike. I've decided on an Avid mechanical and was wondering which rotor size works best for trials. The Avid comes in 160mm, 185mm and 203mm. Do all of those sizes even fit on a regular mount?

Also, are the stock Avid pads ok? Are other pads any different? Will I have to do all kinds of voodoo stuff to the pads to make them work etc? (i.e. cook them on the stove, quench them with holy water, ride 61 km with the front brake locked...)

Thanks

Ben

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

185 is a good trials brake. 160 is for xc and 4x racer stuff. 203 is the baller size. they will all fit a normal brake mount thanks to the genius device called adaptors. so even if your fork is retarded like the koxx forxx, you cal still make it work.

the stock pads are money. ebc reds are great if you dont ride in the freezing cold/wet very much. the stock ones are great though. just break them in slowly. patience is the key.

3. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

I've got a 203, and I love it. However, it's unecessarily strong (ie I've never ever gotten it to slip when i didn't want it to) - I think the 7-inch(185mm) would be as strong as is actually necessary, and lighter than the 203. Big-ass rotors are pretty cool looking, though.....
    PS
    Get a good lever...kinda like my SD-5..oh, wait.

4. Elan

Elan steve french

i run the 203mm also, it is overkill, but i love never having to think twice about it.

get a xtr lever and you are in for the best brake ever created

5. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i got a 203 because it was cheap as ass. once i get my new wheel built up expect me to ask all kinds of stupid questions such as "how do i put my disk on>!?!?!?1"

6. 1234Austin

1234Austin Guest

i have one. i run a 185 rotor and it works immense. the stock avid parts are the best pads for them. the only problem is that they are hard to get hold of in the uk. :(

7. Elan

Elan steve french

i have like 9823749782374 avid pads at my shop. they are the best. dont even think about anything else.

8. AlainY

AlainY bruises that won't heal

Hang on, i was checking the Avid site and they had a "Ball Bearing 7" and a "Ball Bearing 5". What's the diff? Does tha tmean rotor size?

9. Elan

Elan steve french

i dont think they make a 5...but yea. # denotes rotor size

edit: i was wrong.. the 5 is the less quality version of the 7. lacks some adjustment and such.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  10. Lagerhead

Lagerhead New Member

Thanks for all the advice guys, I went ahead and ordered a 203mm for my bike because if it's bigger it has to be better, right? ;) I'll let you know when I break my fork:rofl: jk

11. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

with my avid came a manual saying that i must tighten everything to the right torques etc. is this important? their hex tool they gave me isn't exactly a torque wrench :rofl:

how tight do i do teh nuts?

12. digby

digby New Member

use loctite, then check it every now and then. Havent checked my disc bolts in 8 months or so. You dont need to torque it down too hard.