Avid Arch Rivals for trials?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by airmj, Feb 27, 2004.

1. airmj

airmj Guest

i'm looking for a rear brake since my old one broke. i already got xtr levers and cable, so i was wondering if the avid arch rivals are suitable for use for trials on the rear... i'm deciding between arch rivals or SD7s...any opinions?

i read somewhere that they said not to use any of those parallel linkage brakes as they break easily. But they don't look very flimsy to me :\ maybe they were refering to xtrs?

2. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Avid arch rivals would last you a week. The XTR's actually last decent, the arch rivals crumble.

3. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

just get the regular avid brakes- the sd-7 is a good brake for the money.

4. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Yep, KS is quite correct on that one. Get the SD7 and even a simple Ritchey red (or other such wet weather pad) and the xtr levers + a good, lubed cable and you definately have decent brakes, if you grind, etc it only gets better.

5. Elan

Elan steve french

yes, teh arch rivals are trials arch rival.

teh sd-7 is okay, the old style xtr caliper definately looks a lot better...

6. WhiteRavenKS

"old style" elan? they are the same thing.. one is semi shiney and one is semi matte...

by the way- just plain avoid linkage brakes. even xtr's will die a premature death in trials stresses.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

omg, who are you? :)

by the "old style" i mean non-linkage?

basically saying just what you said, just not as smartly. haha

8. WhiteRavenKS

old style being not linkage- shit son thats before you were born... well not really. xtr's have been parallel push since like 96 or something. i could be wrong though.

9. Elan

Elan steve french

i say foul. ill sell you some avid ultimates airmj, teh best v-brake evars. or maybe kevin still wants them?

10. 61

61 Guest

just get an hs33. youll never go back. and yes shitmando introduced the parallel "v" brake in 95. you can get bushing kits however (dont know about the 03/04 stuff tho..). same with old style xt circa 96ers. dont get the super wide xt, nothing but squish. its still hard to set up a cable brake to be solid even with the non linkage ones. the maguras, even if set up is not perfect, will be more than adaquate for all trials needs and will be nice and solid intill they start leakin which is enevitable. i guess v brakes work in the wet? whatever, grind your rim foo. coaster brakes are where its at..

11. WhiteRavenKS

best thing about vee brakes is i have not once- ever seen a cable start spewing and pouring out of the housing.. yet strangely i have seen oil come out of my pooguras about a dozen separate times. one time the brake was literally an hour old. sweet. stick with vee's. cheaper initial set up too most of the time.

12. Elan

Elan steve french

its difficult to stick with vees and ride a frame that is worth teh aluminum it took to make it. i dont have $750 extras.

13. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

This must be the only forum where the majority seem to like vees more than maggies. I even saw one dude claim that a bad set of vees were better than a perfect set of maggies. Which is just a dumbass thing to say.
    Well judging from every forum I've been to except this maggies are one of the most reliable components you can put on a bike. That said. I'm sure a good set of vees will work just fine to. But if you live in a place where it rains alot vees suck because you have to change the cables all the time.

14. Elan

Elan steve french

i am trying a new pair of maggies out on my next bike, which will be in like 2 weeks. hopefully mine wont hate me, because there are a lot of riders here who use them without trouble...

15. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

has any one checked out the cane Creek Direct Curve brakes? A no noodle design with one EXTRA long arm over the tire for direct attatchment of the cable. Super stout looking and not a bad price. :yum:

16. streetnutter

streetnutter Guest

I run lx levers, xtr cables and an arch rival 50 on the rear with rw2 pads and it works fine with a lite grind, gives enough power for anyone i find, If you are bothered about power get some plazmatic pads.

Bill

17. airmj

airmj Guest

judging from the replies it seems i'd be getting the SD7s, since most of you don't recommend those parallel thingies.

And i can't get maguras cause i don't have enough money :rolleyes:

mmm...any one here actually really use SD7s in trials? WhiteRavenKS u seem like u use em...so how are they? :yum:

18. WhiteRavenKS

i used the sd20 and sdmag and sd ti... all the same basic thing as the sd-7's, just the predacessor models. i run ultimates now. nothing at all wrong with the sd-7's. great brakes. especially for the money. get some- you wont be hating them at all!

19. airmj

airmj Guest

i see...hey i saw one of ur practice vids, and was wondering what size rotor u were using? looks like 8" ones...

20. WhiteRavenKS

yup... 8" rotor... for the true ballaz. it's really nice to have that power when i sometimes desparately need it. 6 inch rotors are for xc riding. every other aspect of cycling should use a larger rotor. well maybe not cx... but thats not uci legal anyways!