Audio engineering / home recording

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by AlainY, Dec 5, 2004.

1. AlainY

AlainY bruises that won't heal

Seeing as there are some music people on this site, arethere any good, organized sites out there that's about audio engineering / home recording? I tried googling the term but it's impossible to find.

ps - what is wet and dry in audio audio engineering terms?

2. ridesoul

ridesoul Guest

3. AlainY

OH i've seen that site. but i'm looking for something that's more like all organized like this site or biketrials.ca.do you know what i mean?seems like there is'ntsomething ont he net like that.

4. manimal

manimal New Member

harmony-central.com has a forum and some info.. I haven't looked into it enough to tell if its good..

propellerhead software has forums for their products if you any (I use reason a little hear and there.. so it was handy to some extent with my guitar synth setup)

other than that.. I"m not much help..

wet and dry in terms of plugins (effects on a sample or clip) basically means how much of the effect is applied to the audio track

edit: wet- processed effect, dry - original sound..

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  5. KyleT

KyleT Guest

Get a pirated copy of Cubase! I'm trying to, that program costs heaps. But its a professional program, I am probably better off with something like Audacity.....

Sorry, don't know any sites

6. AlainY

Yeah i'm using Cool Edit PRo before it was bought by Adobe. What is the hands down best program to use out there? Cubase? Tracktion? Acid Pro?

7. manimal

manimal New Member

cubase SX is good.. but its not the best, I use Nuendo (by steinberg who makes cubase). ..

soundforge is good for wav editing, acid is good for loops, but if you're going for loop structured audio projects, then I'd suggest something like Propellerhead's "Reason", or Ableton's "Live" .. much more powerful for loops (reason is more midi based, but has samplers, where as live is geared for both midi and audio)

there's no "best" program though, everything seems to work best of someone, but might not work for others.. I've tried many many many of them and currently used a large assortment (Nuendo, Reason, Soundforge are my main one's right now) ..

8. KyleT

KyleT Guest

:werd: I have heard some good things about Reason, and Cubase is used by many Dance/Trance/Techno music producers. Have your heard of Fruityloop? That sounded alright too. Out of curiosity, what do you want the program for anyway? Music Production?

9. AlainY

nah just doing "singer/songwriter" acoustic stuff. i'm using fruity loops to make the drum tracks. but pretty much, you need the music production capability when doing any kind of recording. i just want to know the easiest software around to record stuff and mix it properly etc. that's why i need some kind of website to help me learn some of the terms.