Arrow Racing Rims?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Little Android Man, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

Are these any good? The mod one by the way. I need a new rim and ive read too many bad reviews about the tryall, so its either arrow or another alex. ive read that the arrow doesnt flatspot or dent as easily, true? how do they hold up to grinds? like how long do they last?

thanks in advance to anyone who answers

2. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

they are crap, too narrow, plus not much of a braking surface even after a grind, the only plus is that the seem is welded, if your not going try-all, go alex, good metal to grind with, and stong, prob last you 6 months of good grinds.

1 person likes this.

3. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

arrow mod rim?? looks pretty cool, my friend has the 24" dhrs, there sick, but heavy as hell

4. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

arrow racing rims....they're THE rim to get for mods. The braking surface isn't plentiful, but there is enough there to fit your pads on. They are unbeatable in strength. I'm a very harsh rider and after all the times i've rimmed out, it's not 1mm out of true, there are no flat spots, and there are no dents. My friends have gotten frustrated with how well they hold up, so they used to have a contest of who can dent their rim first....none of them succeeded (yes, they did TRY and dent their rims. i didn't though..).
    I've ground my rim probably 8 real harsh grinds so far, and so far it's going great. grinds last for a while. I used to grind every few times but i would grind lightly, now i'm grinding about 1 time every few weeks and that's working out well. i'm on bloxx by the way....

5. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

6. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

anyone know if u can drill a v section rim like that...???

7. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

yes they can be drilled, my friends have done it.

they're not much heavier than the try all rim, just by .2 pounds or something. the added weight is worth it if you don't want to spend time trueing your wheel and worrying about dents if you're unsmooth like me.

8. Little Android Man

i dont really care about weight. right now on my dx32 i grind about once a week, like a medium/deepish grind and i use bloxx, ive been grinding it for about...3 months? and its just now starting to dent. did your buddys grind theyre rims before they went and tried to dent them or were they all new? can you compare your rim to a dx andreas? and how thick are the sidewalls?

i just want the rim that will last me the longest..i dont have money to replace stuff.

9. [BMF] Chris

the reason the arrow's are bad is because their not wide, say you have a size 14 shoe (the tire), and a size 8 foot (the rim), theres no way you'll be able to use all of the shoe (tire) for maxium balance, now say you have a size 14 foot in a size 14 shoe, your using all of the shoe, not to say a alex dx-32 is 2.5 inches, but its wider that the arrow, i really suggest the new 47mm try-all rim.

10. Darren

Darren New Member

ok I have been riding an arrow racing rim on the rear for a few months, and it was used for over a year when i bought it. the pros are: it holds up to multiple grinds, its strong (welded seem) stays true (never had to touch it with a spoke wrench) and it looks great. the cons: a bit narrow, which causes my try-all tire to fold on angled surfaces, the braking surface is very small, I cant fit the whole pad on the surface (spanish fly), and finally, it is a little heavy even when drilled. overall I like the rim and am very happy with it, you will be happy if you buy one too, i say go for it

11. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

why do people drill mod rims? it doesnt save hardly any weight at all... its more of a pain in the ass than its worth- at least to me when i rode mod. i torched rims every 8 months and considering the MAYBE 1/2" holes i could squeeze between the spoke holes, the weight savings off my alex rims was like 50 grams. i would rather take that 1+ hour i spent drilling and go ride- especially considering that hour of riding would do me better than the 50 grams i would save.

the arrow rim is strong as hell, thats about all it has going for it. its a huge pain in the ass to lace up, the brake track is narrow as hell, the rim itself isnt very wide either. the try-all rim is much better for its width and the alex is much better for the money and good grinds. welded seems on a mod rim are overrated. i have never once broken a mod rim at the seem. i have however gone through about 5 rims for other various reasons (grind the life out of it, crack the spoke holes, huge dents/flatspots).

1 person likes this.
  12. Little Android Man

id love to have a tryall, but i hear they dent and all that really easy, which is something i really dont want.

isnt the arrow rim only 1mm smaller than the alex? its like 37 and the alex is 38. i think.

how much of that pad doesnt fit onto the rim? i know the bottom of alot of pads sticks out, like a square in the middle of a rectangle kinda dealy, is it just like the bottom of htat bit or is there a substantial amount of pad hanging off the rim?

1 person likes this.
  13. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

i fit my bloxx onto the rim just fine :dunno:
    the rim is pretty narrow, but i find it's fine with my try all tyres.
    my friends continually bashed their arrows and have had them for 2 1/2 years now, no signs of dents at all.
    my other friends dx 32 has a couple dents....

if i had to, i'd go for the arrow all over again, it just seems worth it to me

14. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

37MM ISNT NARROW.......considering most ppl use a 38mm dx32. i ride stock, and no way in hell would a 47mm rim work in my frame....

15. Darren

Darren New Member

another thing i realised about the arrow is is doesnt pinch my tube, i cant count how many times I have gone through all the tire's travel and bashed the rim against hard, sharp edges. I have yet to replace my IRC 1.25"x20" tube! the spanish fly pad has that little square in the middle, which is s tiny bit too wide for the rim, the bloxx dont have that. Andreas, how does bloxx on a grind work for you? do u use tar?

1 person likes this.
  16. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

no tar anymore. koxx bloxx on a good grind are incredible. they don't budge :bigthumb:
    darren-i too, have noticed that i don't pinch. i think it's because of the v shape the arrow rim has, the tube sits far in the rim, which means that it's harder to pinch.

17. [BMF] Chris

it took me 6 months of hard riding and grinds every week until i destroyed my try-all, some people dont like it, but for the weight, width, and look, you cant beat the try all, 47mm feels so solid on the back wheel, you gotta get it.

18. Darren

Darren New Member

I'll get one when my arrow is destroyed

19. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

37mm sure as hell isn't wide on a mod rim. Those mod tires are so big that there is so much leverage trying to roll that tire. If I owned a mod I would also have a try-all rim.

Bill

20. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Once i get smooth i would definately get a try all. the added stability will be nice, so i can run low trye pressures without foldage (well, considering it only folds on a 45 degree angled rock, it's not so bad)