Observed Trials banner

161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
New member here.

56 YO, lived in Southern California all my life.

I still surf, skateboard and workout daily.

Used to do minimal biking, dirt motorcycle and 3 wheel ATC 250r in the.....80's.

I'll be moving to Northern Idaho in 2 years, so I'm looking for a fun activity. Trials has been on my radar since I saw a demo decades ago, where some guy road up and over a VW.

I'm planning on getting a trails bicycle, ride the local school grounds now, and eventually also get a trials motorcycle once I move out of So. Cal.

Glad I found this site for all the info. Not much trials activity, that I am aware of, in the Torrance / LAX area of the South Bay.

·
El Blanco Magnifico Horrifico
96 Posts
New member here.

56 YO, lived in Southern California all my life.

I still surf, skateboard and workout daily.

Used to do minimal biking, dirt motorcycle and 3 wheel ATC 250r in the.....80's.

I'll be moving to Northern Idaho in 2 years, so I'm looking for a fun activity. Trials has been on my radar since I saw a demo decades ago, where some guy road up and over a VW.

I'm planning on getting a trails bicycle, ride the local school grounds now, and eventually also get a trials motorcycle once I move out of So. Cal.

Glad I found this site for all the info. Not much trials activity, that I am aware of, in the Torrance / LAX area of the South Bay.
You're gonna have so much fun. If you have been surfing, skating, and working out, then you should be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
51 here. Getting back into bikes after 15 years of not doing so.
Picked up a Brisa B26 on Saturday, a lil old but heh... so am I. I'm hoping trials improves my riding on the trails as well. First time out on my new 29 a few weeks ago I found the ole saying " its like riding a bike" to be utter crap :)

·
96 Posts
51 here. Getting back into bikes after 15 years of not doing so.
Picked up a Brisa B26 on Saturday, a lil old but heh... so am I. I'm hoping trials improves my riding on the trails as well. First time out on my new 29 a few weeks ago I found the ole saying " its like riding a bike" to be utter crap :)
*laugh* I know what you mean. I almost gave up after my first ride in nearly 20 years. But glad I stuck with it. Just don't overdo it and start doing light shoulder exercises with 1 to 3 lb weights or none at all in order to prevent shoulder pain and injury, which are almost a when-not-if in this sport, especially at our ages.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Totally agree!

I just turned 39, two weeks ago. I rode for over 20 years with trials from 96. I stopped four years ago to the month. Having just finished building a Hashtagg raijin and trying to get back into it.... I can see where folks are coming from. Once a trials rider, always a trials rider.

Sure, it's harder on the body now, and things don't work like they used to (insert dirty joke here!), but damn it's worth the effort and I am starting to find that I'm changing my priorities when I go for a ride. It's now about little victories and working on smoothness rather than trying to compete for biggest TGS move etc.

It's all good... Got two legs? Ride!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I never rode nor owned an actual trials bike before this one. I rode all XC and downhill in my younger years. When the wife gave me that look after bringing the trials bike home after recently purchasing a new 29 I blamed Drop in TV and Shawn Denny :)

·
96 Posts
Totally agree!

I just turned 39, two weeks ago. I rode for over 20 years with trials from 96. I stopped four years ago to the month. Having just finished building a Hashtagg raijin and trying to get back into it.... I can see where folks are coming from. Once a trials rider, always a trials rider.

Sure, it's harder on the body now, and things don't work like they used to (insert dirty joke here!), but damn it's worth the effort and I am starting to find that I'm changing my priorities when I go for a ride. It's now about little victories and working on smoothness rather than trying to compete for biggest TGS move etc.

It's all good... Got two legs? Ride!
Spot on. I am having a blast focusing on being smooth on the small stuff and getting comfortable with my bad foot forward. It is just as (if not more) rewarding!

·
There can only be one DMAN
3,369 Posts
I ride with a guy who's in his later 50's and he still pulls huge moves that boggle the mind.As long as I can still ride a bike, I'll continue to ride trials..

Thedman

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I started getting interested in this about 6 years ago. Finally got a bike about a month ago at the age of 51 years and eleven months. (I took 10 years to get a mtb, been at that for 13 years now lol)
Spent a great deal of my life racing motorcycles (rr and mx) and even a few years on a moto trials. The moto trials thing wasn't terribly unnatural and even helped on the mx track to some degree. This bicycle trials thing is an entirely different animal from the mtb though (for me anyway). I've never felt so awkward on two wheels in my life. Difficult stuff!! Hopefully I can stay unbroken long enough to learn something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re-post, from my WTB thread. This seems like the appropriate place:
=================================================

Well, I'm still alive. Love the MK5. Really happy with tarty as well. Bike went together fine, watched their vids on assembly and maint. Bike is SOLID and light.

I'm having a blast on it as well. I rode it in my garage about 10 times, 45 minutes each or so. Just practicing trackstands and balance stuff. Also tip up on front wheel, then to backwheel. Little hops, from trackstand, etc.....If there is any type of little slope, I can hold a trackstand for minutes. More slope, I like to roll back 2-3 bike lengths, then go back to the original position. No slope at all, MUCH harder to stay in one place. I've hit the local school a few times and have lots and lots to try.

Bunny-hops. I SUCK. I can do little english style hops fine. But the whole, front wheel up, then rise, then pull up, then push out thing has been elusive :) Rear wheel hops? Hell if I know, I'll tell you if I get close to one :)

Youtube guys I watch are CSP Trials, Seth's Bike Hack, Skills with Phil, and a few others.

If anyone is in the Torrance, Ca. area let me know, I could use the help.

Really glad I decided to give this a go.....................

·
Registered
2 Posts
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFIWJPQmF3Y[/ame]

Back hops were a life long dream since I was a kid that I achieved this summer after getting a trials bike for the first time in 13 years. This is a part of a video that I learnt almost everything else from when I was kid and it's just as good now.

Backhops take a lot of hard work and frustration but are the holy grail to riding anything.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
New here as well, I officially started last year at 41. I have had severe psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis for almost 20 years now. I let it completely ruin my life my feeling sorry for myself and being constantly depressed about what I couldn't do with my life anymore. Not to mention the fact that my wife of almost 10 years passed away in 2013 leaving me a single parent of 2 kids and completely lost.

So last year I started to make changed to take my life back, diet, walking everyday. Lost about 100 lbs in about 7 months. I decided to splurge and buy myself some new bikes. Picked up a Trek Stache 5 and ordered a Inspired Fourplay Pro.

Ride my Trek almost everyday for 2 to 3 hours, intervals and long miles for fitness. And ride my trials bike with my daughter after school around the neighborhood, she loves watching me do tricks.

Still have a long way to go in losing weight and fitness wise but I am the happiest I have been in a very long time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Keep at it

That's awesome Dragon! I'm 41 as well and ride my Santa Cruz mountain bike and Meta trials on a regular basis. I used to only ride mountain bikes, but then needed to mix things up rather than just riding as fast as possible every time I hit the trails. I feel that trials riding has help me see various types of opportunities to clean technical features on the trails. I actually find myself slowing down and looking for those obstacles now.

If you need some further trials motivation check out this footage. Good stuff to keep the trials riding moving ahead!

=> Bike Trials Motivation

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Love the title of this thread, how appropriate. :)
i'm 50 this year, been riding mtn/bmx bikes at least 40 years, complete new to trials,
Just ordered a 20" Echo from Tarty.
Can't wait for it to be delivered next wednesday, so i can get start on this journey.

·
Banned
4,261 Posts
New here as well, I officially started last year at 41. I have had severe psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis for almost 20 years now. I let it completely ruin my life my feeling sorry for myself and being constantly depressed about what I couldn't do with my life anymore. Not to mention the fact that my wife of almost 10 years passed away in 2013 leaving me a single parent of 2 kids and completely lost.

So last year I started to make changed to take my life back, diet, walking everyday. Lost about 100 lbs in about 7 months. I decided to splurge and buy myself some new bikes. Picked up a Trek Stache 5 and ordered a Inspired Fourplay Pro.

Ride my Trek almost everyday for 2 to 3 hours, intervals and long miles for fitness. And ride my trials bike with my daughter after school around the neighborhood, she loves watching me do tricks.

Still have a long way to go in losing weight and fitness wise but I am the happiest I have been in a very long time.
Fuckin awesome man

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts

Fucking champion. Keep it up mate.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Thank you guys for all of the positive comments and feedback I really appreciate it and it means the world to me. I don't want anyone to feel like I did, if you feel like you don't have anyone to talk to message me. I don't have all the answers but I won't lie to you. And that ends my DR. Phil moment. Lets get back to riding!

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's so good to here DragonTimmeh! Riding bikes truly makes people happy, it's a proven fact...

I went through a very tough 5 years, not being able to do anything due to a back injury, and was in a very dark place. My son wanted to ride trials, so I started with him just messing around on one or two pallets in the yard, and it healed / strengthened my back enough that I can backpack and ride mountain bikes again!

Life is good!

PS. I'm almost 47 and just started riding bikes again 7 months ago, so a long way to go and a lot to learn. But the healing has begun.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
lots of win in this whole thread, but this is good stuff right here. Glad you made it back from the dark, and trials is a part of it dragon dude!

161 - 180 of 216 Posts