Anyone know anything aboots the new Avid cable disk brake?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by BrettM, Sep 7, 2004.

1. BrettM

BrettM New Member

I stumbled across this the other day. It is perfect for the rear of my bike. With the old one because my calipers was inbetween my stays I could sometimes kick the adjuster knob and lose all my rear brake. Wasn't fun...

Anyways that brake is apparently called the ball bearing 7 now. But they came out with something called the ball bearing 5 and it doesn't have that adjuster knob on the outside. Instead they use a barrel adjuster for it where the cable comes into the caliper. It is absolutly perfect for the rear of my bike. But...They give it a 3 out of 5 rating and call it a good cheap brake and say it is basically the same...

Anyone happen to know what any changes might be other than that? Still same pads and system and what not? I dunno. I love the one I use and was just gonna make a guard on my custom frame but this would eliminate that.

Here is the link if you wanna check it out.

http://www.sram.com/en/avid/discbrakes/ballbearing5/ballbearing5.php

2. Elan

Elan steve french

its cheap, its the cheapest disc brake you can buy. always has been. im sure it works just as well as the old ones do. despite the fact that FUCK SRAM.

3. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Well it's the most expensive cable disk brake. I'll probably end up trying it out anyways to see for myself because they are so cheap. But this is my rear brake on a trials bike. My old one is fucking amazing and I don't wanna compromise that. I'd like to have my frame without an ugly guard. But I also want a bike with a perfect rear brake.

4. Elan

Elan steve french

as far as cable actuated disc brakes go, avid is the ONLY one. thats all you need to know.

giver 'er a go, just dont sell yer old one. you can always just take the knob out of the old one too and use some implement to dial the pad.

5. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Wrap some duct tape around the nob on the outside to keep it from slipping if you hit it.

6. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

the bb5 is the cheaper one, its heavier, uglier, and doesnt work as well as the old ones, the bb7 is the old one.....

7. BrettM

BrettM New Member

http://members.shaw.ca/peyto/galler...es/bretdisc.jpg

I believe that is what I do, I just never mentioned that part. However it only lasts maybe a week from your foot scuffing that off as well. Plus I always like to play with the stupid knob to get the brakes feeling just right and the duct tape doesn't make that too fun.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  8. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

turn the cleat on your left shoe out a bit so that your heel is pointing out a bit more when you're clipped in. That way you won't hit the adjuster knob.

- Joel

9. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

pfffft!

:rofl: