Anybody try these cranks?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Mar 24, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

2. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

Do they make their own smaller bash-gaurd?

They loook rad. Performance wise?, who knows, seem expensive, perhaps its best to get some tried and tested crankset...be boring like everyone else..what could go wrong?

3. oicdn

oicdn Guest

That price...is in Canadian.....

4. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Trying to get straight arm cranks to wrap around a trials frame, can't be fun.

5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

where are you finding all these shitty random parts..?

I would need a 238 mm bb to get those to clear my yoke.

6. crashnscar

crashnscar Guest

And you'd probably end up with the best chainline ever :joshers:

:slap:

7. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Dunno if those cranks Primo style have floating axle/bb setup, but i've been running a set of FSA Xdrive cranks and BB (3 piece setup exactly the same as Profile but way cheaper) for about 2 years now on 4 different bikes, 3 of them trials. They've fit every bike i've set em up on with no problem. 3 piece cranks with floating axle and spacers equals never a bb size or clearance problem. Still wouldn't mind the ti axle with Profile race arms for a bit lighter but bah.. they'll never break.
    [​IMG]

oh yeah.. chainlines are cake with em. This thread was about some other crank wasn't it?
    i'll shutup and go to sleep now. Fucking 4 am rants.. :eek3:

8. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I was just browsing Phatmoosecycles.com...I saw those on there....eh...look pretty light, although, nobody has used them, so who's to say they're crap or not :ugh:

9. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Those cranks and the company that makes em look promising. I like the idea of aluminum 3 piece style. Wish they had Profile splined bb and not Primo square thing. Small rider-owned company that owns their CNC mill that's open to custom stuff and making parts for cheap in the US? Sounds good to me. I love run-on sentences. :joshers:

10. Darren

Darren New Member

I know a few people who use the cranks, they seem to work flawlessly so far. I support Phat Moose and any parts they sell. Phat Moose has given so much to the trials community in Ottawa. Andy T, don't talk shit, no one said the cranks were designed for an xtp, or even trials for that matter.

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Hey dar, this is a TRIALS FORUM.

I own profiles, I would never ride them for trials and they are fan-fucking-tastic cranks.

12. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I've got a friend that owns a CNC mill...it's in his garage. 4d machining, the whole 9 yards. Costs $50 an hour worth of electricity just to have it on, LOL! For those of you that are like..."a CNC mill in his Garage? BS!" Yeah...in his fuckin garage. He had to get his garage wired for 440 volt outlets, etc.....the rep had to go out there just to get the machine set-up...pretty insane. Costs a pretty fuckin penny too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He made me and a couple buds a pullstart handle for our Mini Choppers and pocketbikes.....pretty pimp IMO. I would get brake boosters and cranks and all that stuff made, as those are REALLY easy to machine...but eh.....why? Just so I can have some generic cranks? A stem would seem like a logical little piece, but a stem is WAY more expensive to make in terms of machining time...but that to is kinda bobo... Ooooh, I can have my name engraved on the side, LOL! But eh, I guess ALuminum is Aluminum, so it wouldn't make a difference.....

Anybody want a custom booster? LOL!

13. Tanner

Tanner Well-Known Member

I have a CNC mill, CNC lathe, 3 engine lathes, 4 SMAW welders, one MIG, two oxy/ace welding/cutting torches, and one flame-x cutting/welding torch in my "garage" any questions?

14. Shipley

Shipley ..........

One question.. will you be The Man who takes care of this gap in the marketplace for vbrake adapters for 4 bolt magura frames?
    :bowdown:

15. Tanner

Tanner Well-Known Member

oicdn or me? if you want one made up, hell, send me what you want and I'll do it. for free (maybe)

16. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Damn tanner...industrial. :eek3: All he has other than that mill is the CNC lathe....

You probably COULD make a killing off of them, depending on machine time (threading, and actual machine time from metal thickness and just plain out complexity)....CADing them up would prolly be the hardest part...by the looks of what would be needed, you could prolly cut an ASSTON out of one 15"x15" piece of billet if you laid them right...

17. Tanner

Tanner Well-Known Member

that being said, my CNC mill and CNC lathe are TINY. I rarely use them. They run on 115v outlets...really. Why use a CNC lathe when the 3 other lathes will do the exact same thing...?

18. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah...I hear ya...his CNC mills are HUGE....like the size of a shed in your backyard, LOL. Seriously.....that thing just SUCKS electricity. Considering you can use a 3/4 chuck on a booster....you could prolly churn them out pretty quickly.

And Considering the Adaptors for 4-bolt-> V-brake are nothing intricate...a 3/4 chuck should slide right through the AL....you could prolly make 10 sets in an hour....optimisticly, $50 of an hours worth of electricity...you can pretty much go from there for your profits, LOL!

19. Tanner

Tanner Well-Known Member

eh, one giant sheet of sheet metal + band saw + tap and die set = 4bolt adapters

20. oicdn

oicdn Guest

But then it won't be sexy "billet", LOL!