Anybody try out the New HS33s?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Jul 27, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Any feedback from the new one? Specifically lever feel and "new design" allows easier set-up....

2. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

i tried it, id say its better, except you cant use after market levers with it, and until they make a decent lever for that brake, crap on it, i love my lever now, the only difference is the lever in the brakes, everything else is the same..........

3. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I thought so....everything looked the same except the lever, but some articles said there was a better mounting system or something or another to set it up easier....Lever looks OK, but it also like you said, SUCKS when it becomes the standard and it's another thing you have to buy to get a decent feeling brake...

4. kamil

kamil Guest

i have one on my ride right now, personally i liked the old design better, at least you could adjust the pads 'on the fly' which you can't do with the new one. err as easily. oh well.

5. oicdn

oicdn Guest

You can't adjust the old ones pads on the fly if you have the 4 bolt mounts...unless you have an allen wrench...

6. MegamoMidwest

MegamoMidwest chicago crew

I think he means the TPA adjuster knob dealie that breaks off on everyones brakes anyways

7. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

Here's a couple of pictures if you haven't seen them.

They pretty much ruined the adjustability the old evo adapters had, in that you could switch which boss they went on, and you could run narrow or wide rims on narrow or wide frames without having the adapters at crazy angles. Now they compromised.

But i can see why they did it, since theres only 1 hole on the booster. If you were to switch the adapters, then on one setting they'd be angled crazily. I guess they saw that happening with the RAT booster or something. I like this booster idea though, make everything stiffer. And its making the setup essentially a 4 bolt setup pretty much, so like 4 bolt setups, it seems like you'll have to choose rims accordingly if you have v mounts far appart or close together.

I'm not too sure on the lever blade, it just looks weird. They could have based it around a Marta lever blade, and worked from there, instead of coming up with this crazy curvy thing. I'm just basing this on the pictures though, the brakes might be fine. Or not, like Chris said. I'd probably go about trying to fit a different blade onto it, if it turned out that I didn't like the stock lever blade on it. I don't use the TPA, so that's not a problem for me if I was to choose a different blade.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

9. Ali C

Ali C "bmxer"

that "booster" is tripe!

My bike shop were shocked by how bad it is.

You can pull it apart in your hands and snap it without any effort! The only thing it might do is line up the calipers. I really hope they dont think it will actually stiffen the brakes?

10. bwagner

bwagner New Member

I think we should give them some time before dogging them so badly. And about the booster being tripe, the forces of the brakes are pretty much directly horizontal, not in an arc like V brakes. I'm sure that if you were actually able to try to pull it in the proper manner it would be at least as stiff as the older ones. I personally commend their efforts for trying to make the set-up less of a pain in the ass. Also, the TPA might be a little harder to get to, but should hold up a little better from impacts I'd presume. If any one has a new set their trying to trade for a pretty much brand new older set, I'm willing to make the sacrifice;). I think I'm going to like the newer ones a bit. Hopefully they'll be on my new pitbull in a few weeks, only problem is that now I'm thinking about the new 1090 model as opposed to getting an older 1060 one. Choices are hard to make these days.

11. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

im fine with the concept and everything and im not being one of those ppl who slate it before its been tried but... it really really aesthetically looks crap.... there isnt anything wrong with the old maggie so why change it all? ( dont shout at me for that.. i know they are a bitch to setup up and are high maintenance but i can deal with that when they work so well once they do work )

12. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

i like how they look. too bad they feel like maggies.

13. bwagner

bwagner New Member

I know, maggies FEEL horrible, right? I mean the feeling of a hydraulic line filled with fluid versus the super smooth feeling of a steel cable being dragged through another pice of steel lined with plastic, man that's what I'm talking about, all nice and friction filled. Theres just something nicer about brake cables right?I guess that's why they use them in industrial applications for everything, instead of hydraulics, like car brakes, and motorcycles and stuff like that;)

14. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

**edit
    Im not saying its stronger then other boosters or the old one, just saying you cant judge it by pushing it apart with your hands.
    '

Last edited: Jul 27, 2004
  15. Ali C

Ali C "bmxer"

true, but the bike shop (my kinda sponsor) wont give me the brake yet because of the booster (annoying) they are gonna make their own booster for it instead.

I like the lever though, looks cool.

16. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

bwagner, your signature bothers me.

- Joel

17. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Joel,
    Why's that? Because I have no signature? Your post went right over my head, please fill me in. Might you be refferring to [BMF] Chris' signature?

18. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

Yes in my opinion a good set of veebrakes on average will feel much nicer then a magura. I have felt one magura which i must admit felt really nice but other then that they feel pretty nice. However to be honest i dont give a fuck how my brakes feel. Its not somthing i notice when im actualy riding rather then just squeezing the lever.

The magura lever looks like some xc crap. The old ones were weak enough.

My experience with maguras was extreemly low maintanence. You could set them up and not touch them for 6 months. Thats with plaz on a harsh grind which last for ever so no adjusting for pad wear was required.

19. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

sorry, I meant this. I was mistaken about it being a signature. You clearly have yet to feel a good set of v-brakes. I don't think there's much of a point in everyone trying to convert one another though, I someone's setup is insufficient for them they will try something else.

digs

- Joel

20. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

bwagner, basically u dont know what you're talking about. lol. you know im kidding.

tomac, as much shit as i give bwagner, id trust him when it comes to brakes. believe me, he knows about brakes. he would never tell you, but before vbrakes were even out, he and another local made a bunch of them. he knows his shit.

bruce, im still smarter then you. you know i am, dont lie. just admit it. lol