Observed Trials banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Professional fall-offer.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought myself a trials bike last weekend after being fed up with trying simple tricks like endos and side drops, etc. on my hardtail MTB.
I've been practising real-wheel hops for about a total of 2 hours now, and I'm almost there. This link will take you to a video of my progress: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySZa0QZfaL0[/ame]
I've been watching "Mastering the Art of the Trial" ( [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRLi1U61u4g[/ame] ) by Ryan Leech and he's a bit brief - is there any more to it than he describes in this video, or is it just technique?

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
and yes we do realise that you are whoring yourself for compliments by ensuring everyone is aware that you have been riding FOR ONLY TWO HOURS OMFG YOURE SO GOOD OMG YOU R CHAMPION!!!11

sigh. should I ban myself for flaming in the beginners forum?

·
Old Man, Poser, Newbie, "Huba Huba"
4,052 Posts
I was going to ask that exact question, but I have to wait at least 3 more years.

·
Pure Trials
1,337 Posts
keep your crankarms level with the ground. that helped me alot at first.and dont think about it to hard. Learning on a short chainstay trials bike should be too easy after riding a mtb.and its not all about hopping. practice on getting to the rear and maintaining balance with the least amount of hops or else u will be woreout before you know it

·
Registered
76 Posts
By rocking forwards then back your starting out with your cranks to far back. Maybe try putting your forward foot lower (a little closer to the ground) when you rock forward, that way your feet are level and arnt pushing you off when you get on to your back wheel. Or just pedal up, it's a lot easier.

Also maybe try a bit more air pressure in the rear tire.

Check out the two pictures to see what I mean. You want your cranks to be more or less level.

Attachments

·
Professional fall-offer.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Or just pedal up, it's a lot easier.
Surely I'll need to be able to Pedal Up AND hop? Hopping is part of a pedal kick too? Is it not better to learn this first, especially considering that I can only bunny hop the bike about 10 inches?

I suppose I should just wait until I can go get some pallets... -.- there's literally only two places in the whole of my town that are flat and aren't covered in gravel.

·
wtflol
5,713 Posts
You shouldn't be learning to back wheel hop. There is no such trials "move." The hopping is correcting. Nobody hops to just hop. That's mistake #1 in your learning.

In a perfect situation you get on back wheel and don't hop but are just on your back wheel.

Mistake #2 is learning to do anything on the back wheel until you have absolutely EVERYTHING DIALED on two wheels. It makes sense that your balance should be good on two wheels before trying anything on one. Why people are in such a rush to get on the back wheel is beyond me.

·
Pure Trials
1,337 Posts
Surely I'll need to be able to Pedal Up AND hop? Hopping is part of a pedal kick too? Is it not better to learn this first, especially considering that I can only bunny hop the bike about 10 inches?

I suppose I should just wait until I can go get some pallets... -.- there's literally only two places in the whole of my town that are flat and aren't covered in gravel.
Dont really focus on bunnyhops. The geometry of the bike you are using is gonna make it more difficult. rear wheel hops isnt really a "move" or "trick" is more or less a way to keep balance. instead of shifting your body around use the hops to move the bike under you. aka correction hops. its alot easier than it sounds, almost like standing on one foot. if that makes any sense.
Try to get on the rear with a pedal up, hop very little then let the nose drop abit then give it a small kick to bring it back up. once you get comfortable doing this try thrusting your nuts forward IMEDIATELY after the kick and see what happends.:p Once you fully understand the mechanics of what you are trying to do it makes it Alot easier.
i hope my advice helps. you should post another video to see your progression.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I meant using a little pedal kick to bring the front up instead of rocking. I didn't mean an actual "Pedal up." I'm always messing the terms, sorry.

Everybody wants to mess around on their back wheel because it's fun. You can learn everything as you go, just do whatever keeps yah going.

·
Registered
76 Posts
And yeah, a helmet is a good idea. I cracked the back my head a few days ago just messing around, looped out on a dead easy one foot gap.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts