Anti-freeze

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Paul, May 2, 2004.

1. Paul

Paul Guest

I just bled my single-piston Louise with antifreeze (the type that`s used on cars) about 30 mins ago :p Was it a bad move ?Will the antifreeze erode the seals ? Anyone else running antifreeze in their brakes ?

2. hey your one crazy kid, magura suggests you don't use anything else otherwise it wll eat away at seals and stuff like that, go to their site and call them ASAP you might need to clean your lines and order new seals

3. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

You can use quite a bit off stuff in the brakes that is not officially recommended. As long as liquid is not seal corrosive or too aggressive (DOT brake fluid) then you should be fine. I don't know what they have in antifreeze so can't help you there. Why not just run water? Or is it still cold where you are?

4. AndyT

AndyT New Member

uh..he said disc brake guys.

DO NOT USE WATER IN DISC BRAKES. It will boil in about 2 seconds then gas up, and you are fucked. Now anti-freeze....I heard this is what the cooses run in their discs, but I don't quote me on that. If you are seriously worried, rebleed them ASAP.

Also for magura rim brakes, water/2.5 wt shock fluid/anti-freeze/etc. will feel a ton better- just be aware that you are playing with possible leakage. I'd wager 70% failure rate within the first year and a half of using it. I've used the 2.5 wt in the past, leaked after a while (a long while...)...locals use water, leaks after a while as well.

5. Paul

Paul Guest

I know what magura sugests to use . I was just asking I the anti-freeze is corrosive on the seals or not. I`ve been running sewing machine oil for ages and it`s quite OK,but abit too thick. So I fancied a change,and thought anyone might know if antifreeze has a bad effect on the seals.
    Clement ,all those fluids you suggested for HS33 won`t leak that fast if you put grease on the seals.They leak because the seal tends to rub too much on the aluminum (the magura oil is also lubricating the seal/alu area) .

6. AndyT

AndyT New Member

KrazyKID, some people really don't mind having to replace their brake every 2 years...its worth it for the feeling you get. I can deal with the poo feeling of maggie fluid, I don't like to touch my bike.

7. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

anti-freeze does NOT corrode the seals, it is a lubricant, unlike water. the coos brothers do use anti-freeze in the front magura discs.

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

/points up a few posts

9. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

yes, you seemed unsure, and i was comfirming they do, because i know for a fact, and you *can* quote me on that.

10. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Anti freeze is some seriously corrosive stuff. You have to dilute it to run it in an engine, obviously, and it is because of the fact that it is so corrosive, and it builds up on anything it can. Thin it out with water, 1:1 or better.

11. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

make sure when you bleed up to feed the old anti-freeze to your dog.... should i just make one big ass sticky post that covers the gammut of everythig i have posted 30 times?

i over react. :rolleyes:

12. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

You can also use anti-freeze to add to wine as sugar costs more... Mmm :yum:

13. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

Jeremy uses the anti freeze that goes into the water system of RVs during the winter. It works well, he just like VBrakes better!

Jim VanSchoonhoven

14. 24seven

24seven Guest

Anti-freeze is not corrosive and is in fact used as a corrosion inhibitor in engines, especially those with aluminium parts on a steel block to stop electrochemical corrosion.

The reason that antifreeze is diluted is because too much antifreeze reduces the anti-freezing properties and reduces the ability of the cooling system to transfer heat efficiently.

15. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

you guys are fucking stupid. i use good old maple syrup in my brakes ;)

16. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

I hate to sound stupid, but is one brand of maple syrup better than another???

I have heard the Vermont brands work best in the winter.

And I have hear all of them help you to stick to almost anything and stop on a dime.

If this doesn't work the first time you try it, JUST STICK with it, sometimes it takes a while for you to adjust to the different feel of the brakes!

Oh, I have heard with this set up your pads don't have to be as soft and sticky either! So you can use hard pads and they will last longer.

Jim VanSchoonhoven

17. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Holy, I thought Ed was joking, apperently not... but syrup!? thats some viscous shit :ugh2:

18. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

I use air in my maggies! All you have to do to "bleed" them is open the bleed screw and close it again. The brakes can feel a "little" mushy.. but hey. Who cares?

19. Elan

Elan steve french

the best would be alcohol. toobad it dries fast

20. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

yeah i was, jim was just adding to my sarcasem :)