Another magura pad question thread

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by trialsmasta, Oct 18, 2004.

1. trialsmasta

trialsmasta Guest

For all you avid maggie users: Is there a pad that I can run without tar, without a grind and works in dusty environments? I know the plazmatics had killer stoping power but your pads had to be clean. I'm lazy so grinding and cleaning rims is out of the question.

2. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

You have to pretty much run disk then or get a plazmatic coating for your rim.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

how can you expect your brakes to work when dust is on your glass-surfaced rim? this is the most ridiculous post i have read i na long time.

grind your rim. /thread

4. trialsmasta

trialsmasta Guest

Not to start a v-brake vs magura war, but I guess I'm going to need to buy a framre with v-brake mounts then.

5. Elan

Elan steve french

no.... disc brake is your only option if you want to be lazy. but have fun with shitty frame choice or braking frames or just shitty brake problems.

v-brakes are essentially the same as maguras. i dont see how you can expect them to work for trials with no modding. standard braking systems arent meant to stop your wheel instantly. its all about modulation weather you ride DH, XC, or road. the only option for trials is surface modifing. i.e. softer brake pads, abrasive contact surface, or non-douchery.

6. trialsmasta

trialsmasta Guest

According to magura they are essentially the same as v-brakes. There is a possibility that might be true today, but back in 98 they sure as hell wern't. Apprantly magura has done 2 redesigns since then so who knows. Being an engineer I was elated to to hear that they had redesigned the pistons and that they where now more powerful. You see I hate mushy brakes, but I hate brakes that don't work even more, so I have been a v-brake user since my last near death experience using maguras. Contrary to what you may think, I haven;t cleaned my rims in well over a year, have no grind on my rims and the only mods I have done are a brake booster and kool stop salmon pads. I'ts a very rare occation that my brakes slip. So since the new HS 33's are supposed to be hot shit do you still need to grind, use tar, special pads etc? I'm okay with buying special pads I just don't want to have to dick around with cleaning my rims half way through a ride.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

if you ever ride on a rock, no amount of power is going to keep your rim from slipping. thats the way i see it.

cleaning rims sounds like a waste of time to me. i grind my rim once a month maybe. that works well enough for me. i ride natural ~60%, urban40% of the time. i like to think of myself as a low-level expert rider.

from what i've heard the new magura lever design is nothing great over the last hs-33. some even prefer the last model due to its adjustability. so the power gains arent much if any.

the best way to go it seems is koxx bloxx or plazmatic crm with a medium/heavy grind and old style hs-33. theres only one person i know of, out of the many in the state of colorado who ride maguras with a grind, who has issues with this general type set up. he has very bad luck i think. you might know him as kevin shiramizu.

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I can't ride real trials without a grind....spent plenty of time on a v-brake and magura...either way... gring = 0 slipping ever, and if your brakes slip .000000000000000004 mm EVER and you say it doesn't slip go fucking die.

9. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

my damn brakes slip all the time with a grind... i'm a panzy and refuse to grab the lever hard enough i guess.. :-D

10. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

trials"masta",

if you want to run no grind and no tar, v-brakes will work better than mags by virtue of the force applied. Being an engineer you would understand that there is a relationship between the stiffness of the frame/booster and the ratio of lever pull : pad movement which essentially determines how much force you can push the pads onto the rim with. V-brakes apply more force to the rim this way but are also mushier, although you can pretty much eliminate all the mush through your setup and still have the leverage advantage. I would recommend V-brakes, with plazmatic CRV pads and a decent set of cables. Pretty much any NON LINEAR PULL caliper will work, shimano deores are cheap, go for an Avid lever to get the leverage adjustment, if you can't tolerate a bit of lever play eventually, get the Avid ultimate or shimano XT/XTR. I think the play is overrated myself.

You don't HAVE to do anything to your rim with this setup and it will be OK, sanding your rim with a low grade paper will help a lot, a light grind will help even more. Heavy grinds with V-brakes, in my experience, don't improve performance all that much but increase pad wear dramatically. V-brakes are my dig, with very little effort you can make them lock flawlessly, all the time, with much less lever force than a mag.

don't worry about Andrew flaming, I'm on his ignore list :funny:

- Joel

11. felix

felix New Member

I second that!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  12. netto

netto New Member

i know people with no grind and vees and their brakes lock amazing
    however the slightest bit of dirt on the rims and they die....
    grind is ur best bet and predictable braking.
    i cant say that it never slips.
    but if u learn to have bette tire placement, ur brakes should work fine

13. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

you've done it now Felix, I'm going down to Buthiers to find a bunker to hide in, I was enjoying the freedom his ignore list gave me...

netto, you're right about v-brakes being peachy until dust, hence the grind. If no dust, no grind, all happy, but if dust, and water or water then no peach, just shaped like pear, and fall on sit-upon, which helps no learning of tire placement.

- Joel

14. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

I used to think the same, i was lazy, and had a magura with plaz pads on smooth silver rim and rode dusty conditions allll day, you are ALOT better off grinding your rim and getting some Koxx bloxx then using any pads on a smooth rim.

In terms of laziness, one grind could last you 3 months off long riding sessions and still be better than a smooth rim. You'll have less work cut out for you if you grind your rim the once, invest in some koxx bloxx and run that set up, rather than running any other pads on a smooth rim, which will involve regular cleaning efforts to keep up what little performance that set-up has.

Believe me, back in the day the last thing i wanted to do was grind my rim, but after doing it, i SWEAR by it. It takes little effort for the reward you get, even the laziest could/should do it.

15. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

Bloxx are the most over-rated brake pad on the market. In my humble opinion.

16. netto

netto New Member

when they're clean they seem to work awesome

17. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

With every post you have made here...You could have put down a deep grind on your rim!
    It takes like five minutes. Not even, a minute and a half on each side and then you have a wicked ass braking surface for weeks.

18. trialsmasta

trialsmasta Guest

Right on, but the only frame I can get a killer deal on has magura mounts :barf: Hence my sudden interest in the dark side. That and the fact that magura said they were "new and improved". I used to ride with a guy a few years back that had a set of plazmatics. We went to a trials comp in Lajitas (the desert) and his brakes sucked balls. Every section he had to clean his rims. I didn't do squat to my brakes the whole time. Dust dosn't seem to effect my brakes much at all.

19. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

Over-rated? but it depends what your expectations are...

IMO they're good because they grip to grinds AND dont wear down as quickly as Magura black, monty clear, megamo agent orange, plazmatics.

Wear rate is definitely a big factor, the pads apart from koxx bloxx i listed wore so fast on my ground BMF they were just useless, you'd have to get new pads after a few rides, with bloxx i've had wear, obviously, but not at the rate of these other pads.

20. durkie

durkie Member

what about if you just cut some dirt channels in to your current pads?