another FFW question

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by cck, Mar 17, 2004.

1. cck

cck Member

ok, getting the damn freewheel off the crank. any tricks, its really on there good. I've even put it in a vice with the freewheel remover and tried to hammer it loose. i'm trying to untighten it the correct way, but that fuck wont budge. helpppppp

2. Pancho

Pancho Member

Rig up the longest torque bar you can, this is pretty normal.

3. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

yea like a 6 foot cheater pipe..

4. manimal

manimal New Member

I'm having the same problem, but my old one (came stock with my shitty bike) doesn't have the notches that my ACS does... I'm guess a pin spanner? vice grips?

5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

yea leverage is key

6. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

I just removed an ACS free wheel last week. I took the free wheel apart and clamped the inside of the free wheel into a vise on a big work bench with a brake. Then I beat on the crank arm with a huge brass hammer until it finally came loose.

7. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

Yeah, go with trialsbug, you have to take it apart and put the driver body in the vise. Then get some nutty leverage bar and torque it off.

8. cck

cck Member

wait, me no comprende. what thing do i clamp it to? the thing where the freewheel tool goes, but just farther in? erre 1

9. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

First you need to disassemble the free wheel. Use a spanner wrench or a hammer and a nail to remove the cover (left hand threads). Next remove the bearings and the outer housing. You should be left with the inner portion that is screwed onto the crank arm.

You will not be using a free wheel tool to remove this last piece of the free wheel. Clamp this inner portion into the vise. hit the crank arm with a rubber mallet, 2x4, or whatever until it finally breaks loose.

10. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

just put the fucking tool on your freewheell! then put a bolt though the hole and tighten. then take the most retartedly big prybar and push on it ... then install new freewheel ;)

do go taking your shit all apart.. its a whaste..

11. chaloux

chaloux Party all the time.

IF you have an electric hammer gun (you know.. like a jackhammer but a lot smaller. there are also pneumatic ones using an air compressor) and you don't care about if the freewheel gets a bit (or a lot) dented, you can take the crank off, and then proceed to take the freewheel off this way. I've been doing it for years, and it works like a charm.

1. Put the crank in a vice. NOT the freewheel, the crank. Have the freewheel sticking up.

2. Make sure you have a fairly small head on the gun, I use maybe a 3 or 4 mm one.

3. Put the gun into the place where you'll turn it from

4. Once you have then gun in place, push hard, hold on tight, and pull the trigger. It usually takes about 10-15 seconds to get the thing loose and then you can just turn it off with your hand.

I'd show you a picture to make it easier, but I really don't feel like taking my cranks off.

12. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

The tool will not work if the tabs have been ground off. That is why I could not use a tool to remove the free wheel in my case.

13. manimal

manimal New Member

my freewheel doesn't have those tabs (its a piece of shit) so I have to take it apart and clamp it into something...

my new one does though.. why can't they all have those..?

14. Cole

Cole New Member

That's what you get for not spending the extra $10 :rofl:

15. manimal

manimal New Member

haha.. thats what I get for buying a tank...

(in the process of fixing the whole situation)

aparently ACS claws won't fit on a tank crankarm!

16. Liquid

Liquid Guest

It will, you'll just have to get creative... You'll need to cut about 1/4" off the the threads of the crankarm and also grind the tool tabs off the freewheel.

17. BP-Mobile

BP-Mobile New Member

The easiest (only) way to get a Tank freewheel off is to cut the outside off, then use a bench grinder to grind flats on the remaining part of the freewheel. Clamp the new flats in a big vise, then get leverage on the crankarm to break it loose. I have been successful in dismantling 5 Tank freewheels this way, I use a 4-foot frame straightening tool for leverage.

18. Tanner

Tanner Well-Known Member

easiest way to get a freewheel off is my flame-X torch. sucka