anglo-aphasia?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by tomacropod, Mar 2, 2004.

1. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I'm sick to death of trying to navigate the brit forums so I'm coining a new term:

anglo-aphasia: noun. label given to the tendency for English people to be completely unintelligible when granted access to biketrials forums.

anglo-aphasic: adj. The state of having anglo-aphasia.

Derived from the latin anglo (fucking brit) and aphasia (without speech, irreconcilably incomprehensible)

eg:

"god damnit I had to stik with summit boring and am makin a liftin shitter make me proud boyo and make it burgundy!!! "

( http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22468 2/3/04)

that's my late-night computer lab can't be bothered riding home in the dark post.

- Joel

2. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

I know what you mean Tomac. Their language is waaay out of context from what we're used to. I learned a few things.

US: Where we say "hey, man, what's up?"
    Scotts say "Wots goin on Jimmeh?" Jimmy or Jimmeh is their version of 'man' or dude.

US: Playing pool, we call them solids or stripes.
    they call em: Solids and wee ones. (Wee, meaning not a lot of paint). WTF?

South of England is much better, and you can at least pick up whats going on. Go north, towards scottland, you'll be lost Jimmeh.

3. themonggoose

themonggoose Guest

What did you expect? You export all your film music and culture to them and they just suck it up and spit it back. Only they chewed it up somewhere in between. I blame that Ali G guy.

Anyways, by rights, they invented the language so they can do what they like with it.

Ascentrek: I dare you to go into deepest darkest Glasgow, into some dismal dingy drinking den and say "Wots goin on Jimmeh?". In fact, I'll give you a fiver if you do.

4. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

I'm afraid, very affraid. I actually liked the Scot's accent. It was hard to understand, but fun to try and figure out.

5. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

yeah trainspotting was fun, it had a hack-like charm to it, the rest is just irritating, and I doubt much of it is intentional colloquialism...

- Joel