alumn rotors

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by RomanC, Apr 26, 2004.

1. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

So I am running a megamo disc fork that takes a standard calipper but requires a 7 inch rotor. Duncan was kind enough to supply both to me. The rotor is alum but the pads are the regular Kool Stop ones for the Avid mech. So far the disc is pretty noisy and stopping is so so. Anybody have experience with running alum rotors?

2. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

no but i am very interested to see the replies. As I am on the Equip dual disc with Avid mechs front and rear. Everyone who ran the alum discs ran the magura louise brake. And they ran these jagwire pads. But I'm not sure if they were special compound for the aluminum. And nobody ever answered my question for that...

Another bet would be to email tim, plazmatic is making those aluminum rotors so maybe he'll know if you need to run special pads

3. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

I remember reading on Section7 that Megamo had special soft pads for their alum rotors because the semi-metalic pads would wear them out a lot faster. The plazmatic rotors are just alum rotors coated with something. I think you can use plaz pads on any rotor which doesn't have holes as holes will tear the soft pads to shreds.

4. felix

felix New Member

I ran aluminium rotors on my equip pro.
    First I used the Megamo pads, which look like the golden EBC's.
    The pad wear was very high with these pads. Then I used regular magura pads. They offered a great performance, not as much as the megamo pads, but still enough. I think they didn't wear out faster than the megamos.

Run a steel rotor, if you don't want to change pads every few weeks!
    The little weight does not justice the incredible high pad and rotor wear.

5. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Why is the pad wear so high? The disc is made from soft aluminum. Is it because the little bits of alum act as sand and wear the pads?

6. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

Another Megamo rider here... I only used the aluminum rotor (up front only, Radical) for about a month. Worked fine for me at the time, riding beginner level. With the stock Louise pads though, it would heat up WAY too quick on street rides, using it to just slow down. Had the rotor warp 1" one time, though it cooled down true.

Had enough of that, I swapped to a 185mm Avid rotor. Had to do some minor clearancing on the inside of the caliper, but its been working fine.

I'm still curious how well the AL rotors would work with the proper pads, but the basic steel combo should work just fine.

7. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

Yea thats the one thing I don't like about my equip. to run my avids I have to fool around with a bunch of spacers to get it to fit properly. How much weight do the alu rotors save?

8. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Stan @ notubes does the aluminum rotor and pads stuff, you can read up on it and buy parts at www.notubes.com

Bill

9. felix

felix New Member

A 185mm steel rotor weighs about 170 gramms , an aluminium one with the same diameter weighs about 80 gramms.