aligning rear wheel and chain tension for a mod

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by funkysensubean, Jun 2, 2004.

1. funkysensubean

funkysensubean Guest

i bought bmx style tensioners (i think thats whay theyre called) tension the chain. the problem is, whenever it look like its the right tension, it turns out to be to tight. i can feel resistance when im pedaling. when i to loosen the tensioner, it seems too loose to me so i make it too tight again. how do i find the sweet spot?

[​IMG]

also, how do i align the rear wheel so its straight? i currently do i by eye, but i know that everytime i setup the wheel its in a different postions b/c my brake pads are in the wrong postion.

2. Darren

Darren New Member

to align the wheel, just make sure you turn the drive side tensionner bolt the same number of turns as the left side bolt. dunno bout the sweet spot, just tighten it till it feels right, then tighten up the axel.

3. funkysensubean

funkysensubean Guest

o yea, when i slide the axle in the dropout, the wheel has the tendacy to tilt to the left stays, so i kinda have to use my hand to try to hold the wheel at center as i tighten the bolts.

4. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

you do have a tensioner on both sides right? You should tighten them a little tighter then you want them and then try jumping the bike up and down and that will pull everything tight and probably make it just right, if not just adjust them a little from there.

5. funkysensubean

funkysensubean Guest

yea, i have it on both sides. ill try that, but how about side to side wheel alignment?

6. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

1) loosen the nuts on the axle
    2) adjust your tensioners so that the wheel is straight
    3) adjust chain to tension you want while keeping the wheel straight (adjust both tensioners by the same amount each time you adjust it0
    4)tighten axle nuts back up

whats the big deal anyway, you say first it was too tight then too loose... just set it halfway between?

chains don't need to be that tight on mods anyway, only tight enough so that there is no flappy action going on.