Observed Trials banner

Again, hadley hubs?

2K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Little Android Man 
#1 ·
Im sure this has been mentioned before but why dont more trials riders use Hadley hubs?

I sent my king back for service and since its gone I built my rim onto a shimano Parallax hub, hell yeah.

Anywho, I was looking through some catalogs and I cant help but wonmder is there anything wrong with the hadley hub? Similar in price to a king, Ti cassette body and more EP's I think.

Another thought, this about transmissions. Nickolai, the bike company guy has/is trying to make some kind of standard way of mounting Rholoff-hub style transmissions above the bb. Rholoffs are heavy but forget about that for now.

Atleast it gets rid of the der. and when mounted in the frame you could use a symetrical rear hub. I think there is a definite potential for trials, say with something less like rholoff and more like a typical 6 speed motorcycle transmission. Anyone think this is too stupid?

#4 ·
nd more prone to skipping. or so it seems to me... ? there are a few here who will know, but i doubt they take the time to post, because this post could have easily been avoided by using the SEARCH option.... because i am sure it has been discussed more than once already here.

#6 ·
I have Hadley's for my Freeride/DH rig. Great hub, well built.... but not for trials. I had a long discussion with the boys at go-ride.com about this very subject. King is the way for trials, period. Hadleys are good for a mtn bike you'd like to throw around. Forget Ti for anything, period. BTW, I just ordered my Chris Kings today!

#7 ·
jeebus you just really hate ti dont you?

the hadley hubs are great. i have no clue about the long term durrability of the trials version of thier hub though. i have one of their hubs that i use for my dh bike and it has been very reliable. i guess this has been summed up already but yes, king for trials- hadley for a nice non-trials anything bike.

dont mind elan, he's just a post whore :slap:

#8 ·
oh, all i am is a post whore, ignore everything i say, i should be banned anyway.

sorry, forgot that kings dont have pawls. i wast trying to be a "jackass". i was trying to say, in a roundabout way, that the hadley has been looked over, since it has that one pawl engagement...

#12 ·
ive got the hadley 108 point, and so far its held up really nice. thats got one pawl engaging at a time, and it hasnt skipped yet, and ive been riding pretty hard on it.

My cousin has the normal hadley and its got three pawls at once, but only 36 clicks. its quite an improvement over shimano, and its lasted 4 trips to plattekill on the dh courses plus normal trials use.

And then my friends got a king, and hes scared shitless. its falling apart on him, and he called for a warranty and mentioned "trials" and they pretty much hung up on him.

So far, my hadley has been awesome. its burly, purty, engages wicked fast and its plenty noisy too. im gonna stick with it.

#14 ·
King hub number one used for trials- skip every 20 minutes. Sent back to king, still skipped every fucking move just about (some of you remember that). I sold it used for $200 more than I paid for it...so it was ok.

King hub number two, about a year old, skipped twice?? Never came loose, cleaned maybe once.

Hit or miss.

#16 ·
ah, yes...i have broken two axles in my king, cost me a total of $30 to get both those fixed (the second time i overtightened it, i take the blame for that)

umm...skips sometimes when i am doing wiered pedaling shit..i have never had it skip while under power though...

i never mentioned trials to king... i dont know how one could really tell anyways...maybe the aluminum cassette body...but they never asked any questions.
my final word: king is awesomeness.

#17 ·
Didnt mean to make you apologize elan, now Im the one who's sorry. jackass.

My king skipped like two ep's, then a week later a few more, then a week later alot more. Then the axle broke. Ill get the heavy duty axle as soon as its available. I never cleaned my engagement rings(dumbass), I think if I did I could have avoided the skipping problem.

I told CK that I use it for trials and the lady I spoke to wasnt dismissive but pretty nice. She recommended a synthetic 20 wt. for the engagement rings since I use it for trials, as opposed to what CK normally lubes 'em with- which she said was basically a wax.

Sounds like Hadelys arent too bad then, but I think its almost time for a front fw.

#19 ·
Elan said:
ah, yes...i have broken two axles in my king, cost me a total of $30 to get both those fixed (the second time i overtightened it, i take the blame for that)

umm...skips sometimes when i am doing wiered pedaling shit..i have never had it skip while under power though...

i never mentioned trials to king... i dont know how one could really tell anyways...maybe the aluminum cassette body...but they never asked any questions.
my final word: king is awesomeness.
blah blah blah... you need a girlfriend.

#21 ·
hey,
i got lucky when i sent my hadley in to them to get the ti cassette body swapped out and a 10 mm aluminum thru axle (very stiff, got it on the front and the rear) i talked to mike hadley about the hub coming loose as it had once and he told me after resetting it that it shouldn't happen again. it hasn't. while he had it he offered to install the 108 point trials upgrade himself for free. i've had it about a year and a half now and i've heard it skip twice. both times were the same night after i had serviced it and added more oil, just a little too much. drained it a bit and it's been great since.
i've beat on this this hub and i wouldn't trade it for the anything now. i can't even ride any others if i wanted to, especially after feeling how slow even a king feels in comparison now.
-nothin against king though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.