Advice from Multi Discipline Riders needed

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by fincloser, Oct 9, 2013.

1. fincloser

fincloser New Member

Okay looking for some guidance from guys that ride bikes other than just trials. I have been riding BMX and DJ most of the summer with the kids. Now that they are back in school, on my off days I am back on my Trials bike. It is like starting all over again, I can’t bring the front wheel up and I feel like I am going to fall over if a strong wind blows. I am having a hard time adjusting back to the high bb geo of the Zoo. I guess the question is, does it get any easier switching back and forth from traditional bikes to seat-less wonders. I do not want to have the same learning curve I had when I first got the bike. I am getting frustrated after a 2 hr ride yesterday I wanted to throw it in the dumpster. Any advice?

Thanks Tony

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

More or less gets easier.. Going from a bmx to a pure trials bike and trying to bunny hop the trials bike never feels just right. In your mind once you understand you have to pull way back and bend your knees it starts to click. Stick with it :)

3. wetbed0

wetbed0 Member

I don't notice too much, but I have a low bb frame. Probably helps.

4. matt tomlinson

matt tomlinson New Member

The short answer is yes it is possible to ride trials and enjoy multiple bikes. Just this morning I was riding downhill, tonight I plan to ride the trials bike.

My simple advice would be to keep it fun and get to a somewhat satisfactory proficiency on all of your bikes and then it shouldn't be difficult to switch back and forth.

5. fincloser

fincloser New Member

Thanks for the responses. I just didn't know if there was always going to be problems switching back and forth. I think if I had a lower BB the transition wouldn't be as bad or I think I might be using the wrong stem. I am going to keep playing with trials bike during the week for now and see how it goes. Again I appreciate the time and help.

Tony

6. stonee

stonee New Member

i find the the process of readjusting to a new bike, i tend to actually improve a little bit as i can ditch some of my old bad habits, because weight transfer and drive train punches differ for different geo's.

7. avatar4281

I don't think I've ever flamed anyone on OTN, but you should have posted this in the "Stupid Question" thread. Some people like to have the same length cranks on all their bikes, but I think that's silly as well.

8. treewizzard

treewizzard draquella is back!

i know that my legs get shorter when i switch bikes

9. fincloser

fincloser New Member

Why did you even respond? One year ago you rode your first bmx, 2 weeks ago you asked about geo on a dj. You have a trials bike with a low bb, you have no idea how to transition from any bike to high bb trials bike.
    Sorry I posted this in the wrong spot. Next time I will pm you to make sure where I post its okay with you.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013