Advantages/disadvantages of lower BB

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Rob.K, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

I understand what almost all the adv/dis of certain geometry characteristics are for bikes.

But I don't know how the BB affects trials moves. Does it have an effect on gapping, pedal kicking sidehops and so on.

I heard people complaining about the low BB on the Woodman but how does that make it bad or good.

Thanks.

2. unlearn

unlearn Member

two way that i know of...

1) rolling stuff...if you be rollin' down sumthin' you gonna whack that thang

2) ups...you have to try a bit harder to miss the BB shell when doin' touch hops and the like...

3. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

3) Gettng up to rear wheel sucks.

4) Hopping on the rear wheel sucks.

5) Balance when on 2 wheels is better.

6) Bashring hooks is easier.

7) UCI Style hooks is harder.

4. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

Lower BB = more comfortable and stable ride

For some reason i could do rolling pedal gaps alot nicer on my DSVD5.0 than my Zebdi Mk5 . But thats probably more due to the fact that i changed my gearing ratios.

Low BB = Harder to stay on the backwheel, more effort is required to backhop in one place eficiently.

5. Elan

Elan steve french

wedges are easier on a lower bb

6. G-Jordan

G-Jordan Guest

just wondering what height is considered high/low?

cheers
    george

7. JK

JK New Member

In relation to the axles, zero drop BB is normal (Megamo Radical, Koxx LB?), 20mm rise is high (Megamo Equip Pro, Zoo Pitbull), 20mm drop is low (Norco TT, Woodman). Low BB can be a disadvantage for certain styles of riding, because there is a big metal ring in between your tires that hits on everything. Low BB helps with balance though, because your center of gravity is lower.

High rise BB is good for UCI comps (or rubber-only riding style), because you have more clearance. Low BB is good for BIU comp (or pedal-dab riding style) because the crankarm is lower to the ground, so you can use the pedal for balance (i.e. to scrape your way through a section). Zero drop is good for all around riding. The BB drop also depends on your fork length, and to a certain extent on your front and rear tire diameters.