Advantage of a front freewheel setup?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by B1105, Mar 14, 2004.

1. B1105

B1105 New Member

Whats the advantage of a front freewheel setup over like a cassette setup? I realize you can go backwards without the cranks going back also, but any other advantages? I'm sorta stuck between the front freewheel setup over like a chris king in the rear. I've heard good stuff on King hubs and such, but not too much on front freewheel setups. This is going on a PX Zebdi Mk3, and it will be used for urban trials//little bit of natural.

Thanks

Byron

2. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

pft of course the cranks go backwards if you ride backwards.

gives you more clearance. bashrings for them arent as strong as real ones that bolt onto the crank. so if youre one of those that blasts into everything with the bashrings, then reconsider.

3. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

It moves some of the weight forward, instead of all in the rear along with your massive wheel and tire.

4. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

In theory at least.The weight difference between a king and a tryall rear hub isn't that much and....hmmm... the price isn't to far off either.

The thread on track cog on the ft is great.More clearance and such .

5. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

when pedaling backwards there is less chance of the chain popping off.

6. sebLG

sebLG New Member

dosnt it also have something to do with a different weight distribution along the bike? that might be completely rendom, i am clueless, maybe someone else who knows a bit more might say im right? ... also you can change gears without having to pedal if your into that whole gear changing thing lol.

7. alexm

alexm Member

now that chris king hubs have gone up in price, it is probably more practical than ever to try out a good front freewheel setup. i mean the new ENO freewheels with the ISIS try-all cranks would be tops.

the only thing i think that lacks is a light cheap fixed hub. all the cheap ones seem pretty heavy and all the light ones are as much as kings from what ive found.

in theory a front freewheel set up will shift more of the weight to the middle of the bike, making for a lighter rear end, but as a i said before, i dont know of a good light cheap rear fixed hub. perhaps the best option is to buy a cheap one and do some drastic weight saving modifications on it.

Alex

8. B1105

B1105 New Member

Hmm yea, I think I may with a Chris King on an Alex DX 32, it seems like the most popular choice and since I work at a shop, Kings arent that much $.

9. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

Unscrewing free-wheels is an absolute BITCH in my experiences, thankfully i only had front freewheel on my mod, but when i wanted to remove the rear cog and front freewheel it was too hard, i didnt have a vice solidly stuck into the ground so anything i tried it on resulted in the hole bench moving, end result, i used my extreme angle grinder to grind off the freewheel and cog.

I say go for a rear Chris King cassette hub.

10. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

They're great!

1. you can use a heavy fixed hub in the back, negating any weight savings
    2. you can use a flimsy bash ring
    3. if you're not careful, you can easily get your pantleg sucked into it while you're coasting.
    4. you have to use a super wide BB that may introduce some perceivable flex into your drivetrain
    5. good luck getting it off your crank.

11. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

just run two freewheels like i am, it works fine..when you coast the chain doesnt spin but who cares!??!

12. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

how can you run two freewheels?

i don't think there are many advantages to a front freewheel setup.
    there are some but also many disadvantages,

all i know from my experience with front freewheels is they break wayyy sooner if you use them on the front. put a freewheel on the rear of your mod and they'll last twice as long as on the front.

should be interesting to hear some long term reviews of the enos though.

13. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

and 90 percent of the time you get half the engagement as if you had used just one. :rofl:

14. kamil

kamil Guest

getting the fixed cog off (from the rear wheel) isn't hard, well it requires some muscle but if anyone is interested in a way just ask and i will post a paint pic explaining how to do it. (requires the use of another shorter chain).

15. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Bull shit!!! If it's the one put on by monty with green loc tite its a mother
    f#$. It took a chain whip around the cog, in a vice, on a 300 lb table,
    a 2x8 board for leverage and 2 park internal seatclamps threaded trough the spokes,and three dudes cussin. We even slid the bench.Stupid fuckin spaniards and their green loctite arses.

16. kamil

kamil Guest

albiet, i didn't remove a monty cog, but i removed a regular track cog off one of my monty wheels (got a 12t wheel and a 13t wheel)..when i find sometime this week, near the end, i will draw up a pic of how to do it...

all i need to do is remember about this thread... :/

17. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

lol i dont care if it engages or not, not like im going to have it long, anyways i run in beginners class, (first competition with only having the bike running for ONE day, got 35/1 hehehe won the class..with ONE person in it hahahaa) not like im doing massive pedal kicks or ANYTHING on the rear wheel...

18. Pancho

Pancho Member

Advantages to a track cog and a Chris King:

13tooth track cog and some work on the bashring, and you have even more clearance than 18 tooth.

I've seen a lot more problems with freewheels skipping than Chris King (but I suppose that could just be me)

Many other advantages as listed on this page, such as weight/price.