acs freewheel prob????

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by DAVE-O!, Nov 2, 2004.

1. DAVE-O!

DAVE-O! Guest

ok, i ordered my pure from webcyclery a few months ago, and now i need to replace the acs claw freewheel that came with it.

the problem is, i have no clue how i'm going to remove it. the four 'teeth' things that you attatch the fw tool to have been ground down, apparently to save space between it and the bb shell. have any of you had a similar experience? if so, how am i going to remove this thing?

2. Tanner

Tanner New Member

pull the top cap off, and if you're not going to save it, take it apart, so all you have left is a black thing on your crank, put it in a vice, put a cheater bar on your cranks (probably not needed if the bike is new and never ridden) and give 'er

3. DAVE-O!

DAVE-O! Guest

to pull the top cap off, do i just pry it off or something?

4. dkoppric

dkoppric New Member

how i got my front freewheel off after several days of thinking about it was slamming it with a hammer repeatedly for about 25 minutes until i got the freewheel to lockup and then i put it in a vice and twisted it. if you can manage to pop the topcap off go for it. its welded on though.......

5. Tanner

Tanner New Member

if you have an angle grinder, and are relatively skilled with one, get a cutting disc, and go just deep enough to sever the welds. Then take the crank arm off the BB, lay it on the ground, take a nail set, and hit it so the top cap turns clockwise. then, throw 'er in the vice and let that bitch know who is the boss. Err, or take a red park spanner and twist clockwise.

6. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

electric impact wrench!
    RATATATATATATATATATATATATAT

poof it comes off..its worked several times with bmx/trials and the noise it makes rules..

just buy the proper holder so it can grab the freewheel and pound the bejesus out of it

7. PJL

PJL War is Peace

Dave, bring your shit over and I'll get it off. I'll just need you to sign this waiver I have...

I LOVE playing with powertools. Especially on other people's bikes.

8. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

hophopsnap i like your avatar... who is it?

9. CoppellStereo

CoppellStereo Ruff Rider

for the top cap, i dont know about the ACS, but there should be 2 holes for a spanner wrench thing, where you can put it in and unscrew it, and when you take it off, all the barrings should be exposed, and maybe even go everywhere :O

10. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

lol.

btw, i agree with Pfunder, nice avatar hop.

11. DAVE-O!

DAVE-O! Guest

yeah, there are two really small holes on the cap, i've just never seen or heard of some 'spanner wrench' that can be used.

12. dookie

dookie Guest

Go to your local bike shop and ask them for a spanner for an old style bottom bracket. They will show you what it looks like. The tool should only cost about $10 and may be a worthy investment for bikes that run freewheels. Here is a link to Park Tool homepage with a spanner wrench that worked on my ACS claw freewheel:

http://www.parktool.com/tools/SPA_2.shtml

Otherwise, you can take two small screwdrivers, one in each hand, insert them into both of the holes of the freewheel and attempt to loosen it. Or use a punch and hammer to loosen it, holding the punch at an extreme angle to get the force going in the right direction. You will destroy the holes by doing this, but you are going to replace it anyway. Remove the preloader, millions of bearings, the cog, and the pawls. Now clamp the remaining part of the freewheel in a vise. As previously instructed, use a cheater bar on the crank to break it loose. I think this is a reverse thread, ie: when you pedal, it tightens the freewheel.

If you still can't get it off, you may need to use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel , along with a sharp chisel to carefully split the part in half. Be careful not to damage the threads underneath!

1 person likes this.
  13. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

sorry guys I got it from I friend I will ask him tonight..

14. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

a punch and a hammer will take your side plate off easy. then just slap that beast in a vice and throw a big pipe on the crank arm and its all done.

15. DAVE-O!

DAVE-O! Guest

thanks, i remember the spanner wrench now, that'll work. i know some people who have 'em too.

thought i was going to have to take a jackhammer to it for a sec, lol

16. trialsmasta

trialsmasta Guest

I can testify to that. Just use the ACS removal tool. Park tools and Pedros can't handle the impact wrench.