ACS Claws

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by B1105, Jul 30, 2004.

1. B1105

B1105 New Member

Ok, I hear a lot of people have problems with their ACS and some have none. I got my bike 2 days ago, and my ACS is already busted, I'm wondering if its worth getting a new one to see how it works/holds up versus getting a White Industry. My only holdback from getting the White Industry is that I will soon want to move to a cassette hub setup once I get new cranks. This may not be for a couple months, so my ultimate question is:

Are ACS claws freewheels really bad, or will they work? I know someone will say vincent had one, but then again, no one is as smooth as him.

2. MikeTheBike

MikeTheBike Active Member

I used the same ACS Claws freewheel on three different sets of cranks over three years.
    The trick to making the ACS Claws freewheel last is to remove the lockring and put blue loctite on its threads before you ever even put it on your bike. That ring is notorious for backing out during first few rides and allowing the bearings to jam in the pawls. Even after putting the loctite on, I would suggest you check the tightness of the lockring every 10-15 rides. Also, make sure to keep the freewheel clean and lubed with lightweight oil (e.g. WD-40, sewing machine oil, 3-in-1. etc.). With the forces that trials puts on them, any grit will quickly destroy a freewheel.

3. kamil

kamil Guest

mike is right, the lock ring does back out, another way to avoid the lockring from backing out is to grind the freewheel so that it makes it really tough to back out.

i've never had a problem with any of my acs freewheels. in fact i had the same one for years, i did upgrade to the WI and love it. I am in the process of getting a CK hub though. can't give up a chance to get the best.

4. Elan

Elan steve french

vince tightened his lockring like two-three tiems a day when he was riding here.

5. pav

pav New Member

Get a new ACS, then out of the box tightnen it as much as you can then weld it shut. Do a few spot welds welding the lockring shut. I have seen this on a bike and it is wicked, an ACS that never skipped! The reason they blow up is because they come loose, and if you stop them from coming loose they wont blow up. So it doesnt hurt to weld it.

pav

6. GTFCKD

GTFCKD New Member

my one was realy hard to weld cos it has crome plateing on it but it still worked

michael

7. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

just get a WI freewheel they are better anyways and you dont have to weld them, plus the engagement makes a big difference. The difference in price is worth it compared to the headache of tightening an ACS every couple of rides and not having comfidence that it wont skip on you.

8. koxxman

koxxman New Member

THIS IS TO ALL YOU RIEDES OUT THERE DONT BUY MONTY FREEWHEEL BECAUSE IT IS THE SAME AS THE ACS FREEWHEEL ITS A COPY!!!!!!!!!!!WHAT IS INSIDE THE MONTY FREEWHEEL IS THE SAME AS THE ACS!!!!!!!!

9. manimal

manimal New Member

I read on here or one of the other forums that the regular blue locktite (242 stuff), won't seal through grease, and that you need the industrial blue (243 stuff) locktite.. I tried the 242, and I have to tighten it every few mins, so it doesn't work, I haven't tried the 243 stuff yet.. can you get the stronger stuff at the same place as the 242? or will the red stuff work?

10. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

:hsugh: i thought monty bikes came with shimano freewheels

11. koxxman

koxxman New Member

I am talk about the new ones the 221ti man.....

12. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

the 04 x lites have claimed to use "shimano/monty" freewheels. More or less-a shimano freewheel with a Monty logo slapped on it.

13. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

i completely rebuilt my acs as i wanted to see how it worked while i was loctiteing it. My recomendation is to pull it apart on a towl or similar, there are like 2342 bearings so dont loose any. Then i degreased everything in turps, wiped off the parts i was going to loctite and left the rest to dry. Get the springs and bend them outwards so they become stronger and push the pawls harder into the teeth. Replace everything using grease on the bearings. No lube on the engagment system anywhere. Loctite the lockring on and leave for 24 hours.

I have found using any triflow in the engagment system only makes it more prone to skipping. I think the outward force the pawls put on the teeth is so weak that wearing out the teeth wont be a problem.

14. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

that is what the echo importer (who lives on top of his own massive metal/wood working place) did. works all fine and dandy except he got all this sandy shit all through the thing :rofl: but it seems to be working fine. certainly better than tightening the ring every 5 mins with a bent allen key.

ACS freewheels love incredibly thin lube. i use CRC, i think it's about the equivilent of wd40 which isn't even really a lube, but it works better than anything else.