A new frame material?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Simonk, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Simonk

Simonk Guest

I was studying for chemistry and in my textbook they had a little thing about liquidmetal. It has a similar molecular structure to glass but instead of silica it is composed of metals (a mixture of titanium, zirconium, nickel, beryllium and copper). On this site:http://www.liquidmetal.com/index/ they say it is stronger than titanium, but a lot more elastic, so it might make quite a springy feeling frame, but strong, and light. Who knows.
    Anyone have a spare few million bucks?

2. nidoss

nidoss Guest

let me get my check book out =)

3. Peace

Peace pedocrab

so its expensive then.... sounds cool though. so is it initially in a liquid state then hardened? it aint gonna slowly turn into a puddle is it? haha

Peace

4. trauma100

trauma100 Modest

I would be affraid that at some point during a ride the frame would melt into a molten puddle then refom into a rebel motorcyle cop and chase me through the city.:joshers:

5. Simonk

Simonk Guest

i dont really think it would melt. glass melts at high temeratures but you dont see puddles under where your windows used to be. but the main similarity with glass is that its not an ordered metallic array, but the atoms are scattered more randomly. I havnt looked at the site in much detail but i just thought it could be an interesting, if not slightly far fetched idea.

6. Peace

Peace pedocrab

haha yeah ive read up on the debates about whether glass is liquid or solid, pretty interesting but kinda makes my head hurt.
    experimenting is always good :)
    Peace

7. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Close. Glass is actually a liquid. "OMGZ1!11!11 A LIKWID!!!1!?!/1!?!" Yeah. If you look at a pane of glass, in about 50 years, it will be thicker at the bottom than it is at the top.

8. Simonk

Simonk Guest

ok i have heard this debate 9712736478 times, and with everything i've heard (i've never actually observed/studied/interviewed glass in person) I would be willing to bet a fairly large amount of money that if you measure a 50 year old window-sized peice of glass you'll find its exactly the same size as is was when it was put there. In medieval times when glass was not as precisely manufactured as it is today, the glasssmiths (who knows what you call them) installed the panes fat side down so that it has a lower center of gravity and thus more stable. Hence 500 year old glass didnt 'run' down to the bottom, it was like that from the day it was put there.

9. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Yeah, I was just going by what I've heard every chemist say. :wiggle:

I'll take a micrometer to the glass in my house, that shits at least 20 years old. Hell, 30-40 maybe.

10. Peace

Peace pedocrab

yeah ive heard that too, i guess we have to wait about 10-20 years to get the final answer. they better have some panes of glass in a lab somewhere with laser measuring devises! but even by now if it was a liquid that would mean its moving constantly at a very slow rate and even in 10 yrs something would show up with these amazingly accurate and sensitive tools!
    Peace

11. MegamoMidwest

MegamoMidwest chicago crew

I read in my chemistry textbook about a metal that hardens the more you hit it? its some new thing that people are using for tooth fillings and stuff, it sounds really cool. I think it works because the little mollecules in the metal are actually somehow 'alive' or something, ill have to read about it more but that would be cool to have a bash or pedal that got stronger the more you hit it.

-Paul

12. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

or downtubes.

ive heard that glass melting thing is like an old wives tale basically. hmmm... i will have to read into that.

13. Peace

Peace pedocrab

yeah or you go to bash and it just destroys the oject! or the little alive things take hold and push you up onto back wheel!
    or not... does sound practical for trials though, research more boy! :)
    should make rims out of that shit! imagine how nasty the grind would be! mmmmm
    Peace

14. greyghost

greyghost Active Member

As weird as as it sounds is true, glass has been measured in buildings from the early 1900's that is known to have settled, after a time when manufacturing standards were able to produce a flat pane of glass to some accuracy. Coincidence, I think not!

15. asavage97

asavage97 New Member

Silicon Carbide gets harder the more you hit it on uk robot wars there was a robot called mortis that had silicon carbide armour and nothing broke through it.

16. Jos

Jos I'd hit it!

Yeah, Glass takes a lot longer to warp than 50 years.

Glass from the medieval times, is about 500 or so years old or so, now, so it's had plenty of time to ooze.

17. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Copper and other metals can be work hardend

18. sotsog

sotsog Guest

so the more you used it the less likely you are to snap it, lol
    more chance of snapping it on the first day than 200 days later, hmmm

19. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut you gonna get raped

The glass as a liquid kind of makes sense if you think about it.

Remember the changes of state in grade 6?
    Glass is molten sand basicly. If it was a solid, then the glass would eventually re-seperate into sand again.

The reason glass "melts" as it is heated can also be explained using grade 6 physics and chemistry.

20. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

glass is a slow moving liquid at room tempeture. my dad has a watch with a glass cover over it, if it's ever scratched he just rubs it with his thumb to get some friction/heat going, then the glass moves around and the scratch is gone!