A Mammoth debacle

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by trialscoach, Sep 16, 2004.

1. trialscoach

trialscoach Member

WOW! Check this out...Mammoth is refusing to put up pro purse,refusing to split entries with us(so the entire cost would be on us) and refusing to put any agreements at all on paper...so we sent a letter declining their proposal...we refuse to have our guys pay for nothing so they can laugh all the way to the bank, like they usually do.

Now NORBA is flipping, even though the National Championships are their responsibility, not ours, and all these guys making way too much money want to know why we won't finance the whole thing just so 10 riders can show up(no purse=no pros) and we can take the hit for low attendance. And get this!... they're spending $10,000 to move equipment and personnel to the trials finals in their main village center for god knows what, and won't cough up $1000 per bike for the pros!

Their stance is:why give the trialsers money when the xc and dh folks don't get purse and that they're actually trying to HELP US by putting us center stage. Our stance is: if you won't do anything for our riders, we won't do anything for you and we don't care about our guys being your personal dancing bears. Stay tuned...we're still playing phone-tag trying to get the purse guaranteed before we commit.

NORBA has agreed that amateurs purchasing licenses would only pay $25, so at least we’ve nailed down one detail for you. For pros wanting to purchase a license, we’re still trying to get confirmation of ½ cost as well. There’s also the possibility that Mammoth will contract another promoter with the same proposal presented to us, so don’t cancel yur tickets yet.

2. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

If I buy a plane ticket to go out there it would only be if there is a pro purse... not to be cheap but seriously that's a lot of money to spend, only to come back home with nothing. So please let me know if there will be a purse or not ASAP. Thanks.. Robbie

3. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

the xc and dh riders dont need a purse... they have these things called sponsors that give them bonuses for kicking ass.... we just get to spend a shitload of money to come out and ride.

4. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

only a few get bonuses.

5. Cole

Cole New Member

Whatever braaahhhh, many experts and the majority of semi-pros and pros that attend nationals get some kind of bonus. When I was racing jr-x xc my sponsors asked me what I wanted product wise after I went to nationals and would give me whatever I wanted.

6. AndyT

AndyT New Member

But cole, you are a beast. No one is as good as you.

BREHLY

7. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

as opposed to the shitloads of trials riders who do?

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Why, just the other day kevin I saw you find a nickle- don't lie!

9. mikeschiavone

cole, im talking about money. anyone can come up with some product

10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

ca$h money, for clarification.

11. Cole

Cole New Member

Whatevers, cash deals aren't that hard to get. You just don't get as much value wise. For going to nationals I knew tons of people who were getting hundreds of dollars.

12. mikeschiavone

of course there not, but im talking about getting bonuses for going, on top of salary. very few riders get bonuses for going, let alone winning

13. Cole

Cole New Member

Personally, I've never known anyone that really got a yearly salary for xc riding. Just large bonuses. But anyway, kind of sounds like this national is going to be the biggest dud ever.

14. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

I think its great that your fighting for more money steve. But I also think that there should have been money at every event this year, maybe we need our own series sponsors that aren't just the CO springs series sponsors, except for faction of course he hooked it up this season.

15. Elan

Elan steve french

mammoth is undoubtedly GAY

16. trialscoach

trialscoach Member

MAYBE we need our own sponsor?! I tried everything this year, even spending almost a grand for a professional marketing company to send out slick proposals to 250 different corporations and we heard nothing but crickets. It was terminally difficult for all sports this year and we were lucky a few companies stepped forward with assistance at all. A couple cold calls was all it took in the mid 90's, now it requires a full-time marketing director which we don't have yet. The purses at Colo Spr and Mt Snow or Eureka Spr, I don't remember right now, were provided by those event directors, not the UBA and we were lucky for that too. Some of our athlete parents have recently volunteered to pursue sponsors for us and I'm looking forward to the help. In fact there are several folks contributing to the association so we can establish something cool for our guys. Yeah, we've got a long way to go but we'll keep pluggin away at it.