A few brake questions..

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Little Android Man, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

well, its come to that point in time where i am in the need of a front disc, and alot of stuff but ya this is more important. but ihave a couple questions about what ill probably be running...

lately (or before i broke my lever anyway) i have been using fron hs33 brakes, with a deep grind on one side and some tar on the other. it works well for about a day, but my mod is also my commuter, so i use the front brake tos low down and stop (i dont like wasting the grind on the rear) or i stuf my foot in the tire. im gettting tired of this.

so my questions are-is the stock monty fork strong enough for a disc brake? id say ya at least for a while, but at the same time the disc tabs look kinda chincy..anyone have luck with them?

and secondly-is the old hayes hmx disc caliper worth switching to? i know your going to say "buy an avid" but i dont have the money for it irght now, it would come later though...

but anyway, thanks for any answers..

2. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

most people don't have problems with the front disc tabs breakin off, so i think your fork is fine.

i hate the hs33 in the front for commuting. i feel guilty when i slow down cuz o the squeeeeel...

3. pav

pav New Member

I hhave HS33 on the front with no grind and it works awesome, I have no power problems at all.
    Just make sure it is all set up straight with a good bleed and make sure the rim is clean.
    I have a mix of 1 monty milk pad and 1 red pad and i have no problems, 2 monty milk pads would be awesome though!
    I don't see why people don't like HS33 on the front, you just have to spend some time fiddling and working it out and then once you have its good you will love it

pav

4. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

There is the problem, just buy some cheap secondhand somthingorother to commute.

5. Little Android Man

ive got another bike but the places i commute to are the places i ride, so i just use the mod. thsi year ill have a car at some point though, so that might solve a problem a bit..

my hs33's up front are fine, but the way i use them it just defeats the purpose sortof, because i have koxx bloxx pads (all ive got) so they dont work with no grind, i hate to use it, even though i do..but the tar sucks because of the noise when your slowing down, and also the grind just disapears once i try to slow down on it. and im sick of losing my shoe soles because i dont want to use my brake..

6. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Who cares about the noise slowing down....you're getting looked at cause you're pedaling your ass off and barely moving and mod looks funny to "regular people" anyhow.....just use the tar if you don't like your grinds and pads going away on the front.....

7. Little Android Man

i dont care about the noise bothering other people or making them stare at me, around here everyone knows me anyway andthey know whats going on, but the noise just annoys me.

whatever, im getting a disc

8. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

disc is alot better. very "smooth" feeling compared to a rim brake. and its easy to maintine and set up. works in any weather too. :)

9. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

yeah after that article I think we know your opinions on mod...why the prejudice?

anyway...v-brakes are the best non-disc for the front...you can run v's on your 4-bolt mounts, just turn down some normal canti mounts from the m7 to an m5 thread, and loctite them into the lower hole. Of course if you're set on a disc, go for it. But this is cheaper.

- Joel

10. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

yes, i love the way the disc modulation feels, its so smoothe... a vee or hs33 sorta jerk, then modulate, if they modulate at all.

11. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

if u add an 'e' on to the end of 'smooth' it makes the word look more smooth... or 'smoothe'...