a couple questions about building a bike.....

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by nidoss, Sep 26, 2004.

1. nidoss

nidoss Guest

for a bt raven 5.0 which fork would work better.
    the echo pure, or planet-x super light? or some other one.

and where do all you guys get the michelin tires that everyone raves about?

one more, which seems to work better, running a front freewheel or the standard rear hub deal?

2. Elan

Elan steve french

pk superlight or echo urban..only choices m8

3. nidoss

nidoss Guest

400mm or 425mm? for the planet-x

4. Elan

Elan steve french

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

rear hub is more expensive assuming you get a chris king, front freewheel is more economical.i like the rear hub better jsut cause.

michelins you can get online pretty cheap, like $35 or something, i get mine throught hte shop

6. nidoss

nidoss Guest

what are some good rims? alex dx32, and try-all. what would be a good front rim? just a rhynolite or something?

where online? does webcyclery carry them? or trialsin or something?

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

www.webcyclery.com has some michelins- get the 24.1 downhill in 2.2"

edit:

dx32 on the back, in the front a rhyno lite or rhyno XL are both nice...I run a tioga DH.

8. nidoss

nidoss Guest

hey b1105, im still considering the echo team lon you have(if you havent sold it yet) but im also thinking about maybe building up a bt raven or echo pure or something.

9. nidoss

nidoss Guest

ah i found them, thanks andrew, i didnt know they where DH tires, so for the last few days ive been looking in the wrong area. hahah

10. nidoss

nidoss Guest

alright, now that ive read a bunch about the what is a good wheelbase for a certian height, im confused as hell. im 5' 10" 5' 11" somewhere in there. would a bt raven with the 1090 wheelbase be too much for me? my zebdi that im on now has like a 1010mm wheelbase or something.

maybe a pure frame? or something i have no clue. the tibo? its shorter and 150 bucks cheaper then the pure.

command me to get a certian frame so i have to stop being a baby and get one =) thanks

EDIT: or should i say screw this whole build my own bike thing and get an echo team? god damnit i suck......sorry for the billionth post in a row.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Pure or the BT would both be great options...I wouldn't bother with the TIBO if I were you.

Pure is a little bit more traditional design (seat tube? Crayzeee), the BT's supposedely ride stiffer, they look a lot different...1090 isn't too much for you, you will love it.

12. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

im about that height and ride 1080.. i dare say 10mm wouldn't hurt. You'll grow into it.

apparently the BT's ride good with 420mm fork (ie Echo pure fork)?? Maybe alex PV can help me out here...

13. seandom

seandom New Member

nidoss, im 5' 10" and just switched from a zebdi to a bt. i can guarantee that you will love the length of the bt. i got a 400 mm px superlight fork up front, but the echo urban would probably be a better choice. mine measures out to be 1080 exactly, i think.

go for the bt or the echo....something long. 1080 - 1090

im also running a front freewheel. its not bad at all, but sometimes i just wish i had with a king for simplicity. there are not many good locked rear hub options out there.

ive pretty much just summed up what everyone else said, so whatever. good luck.

14. B1105

B1105 New Member

I still have it, let me know what you wanna do.

15. nidoss

nidoss Guest

ok say, i cant get a bt raven and decide to go with a pure, would the 1080 be better than the 1060 do you think? would a 400mm px knifen lite still work ok with that frame? seeing as its 30 some dollars cheaper then the pure fork.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  16. nidoss

nidoss Guest

Ok, So ive decided to build up a Bt Raven, the frame should be here in 3-4 weeks maybe? not real sure when, sometime. but i need a few suggestions on parts. for the most part i think i know what i want for parts but here are a few ones i cant answer myself

Rear hub - King? or would a hope xc work well? Everyone says king but its so expensive.

Head set - how well will a cane creek s6 work? agian a king would be good, but its 40 dollars more or something like that.

Stem - i cant decide what length rise i should get, im getting a try-all but should i get the 75 mm 7 degree ride, or the 90 mm 7 degree rise? im thinking the 75 beacuase the wheelbase of the bike is gonna be something like 1080-1090mm. also should i use the 7 degree rise or the 17?

Cranks - is the jump from truvativ hussefelt cranks to the bonz worth the extra 70 bucks? Im thinking of the bonz but if its not really worth it, then ill jsut get the truvativ.

anyway, i think thats it, any help is really appreciated.

thank

17. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

rear hub-might as well get a king if you are planning on riding for a while. It should last your whole trials career.
    headset-again, same thing as with the rear hub. Might as well spend 100 in 10 years then 60 every 3-5.
    stem-its pretty much personal feel from what Ive heard. You will prolly get used to whatever anyways.
    Cranks get beat to shit so I use echo cranks because they are cheap and even though the bonz and middleburns look sweet, I still feel better slamming my echos into the wall/rocks.

dono if I helped and people correct me if im wrong on these things.

18. Elan

Elan steve french

echo cranks are complete crap... they bend like string cheese. bonz are awesome cranks. go for it.

hub- chris king is the ONLY way to roll.

headset- the fsa pig is a decent cartridge headset at like $30, not king quality. but its just a trials bike. dont worry about it too much. hermance uses like a $10 dia-compe or some shit.

stem- the try-all is a good stem. go for what you think will be more comfortable. if you are 5'11 the 110X17deg would probably be the best... i personally dont like short stems though, you might feel otherwise.