24" Trials Bike

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by SicMX, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Yes, sound cool.

40 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. No, lets leave it at 26" and 20"

28 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Don't know.

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. SicMX

SicMX New Member

(i already posted this in pinkbike, but cause this whole site is about trials i thought i'd get more replies here so here it is: )

http://www.leesonbikes.co.uk/609.html

Howcome the whole 24" trials bike isnt more common. I mean they are lighter, stronger and easier to throw around. From what i've heard the Ashton 24" bike is pretty good for trials, and the only con is that they don't really make a good 24" trials tyre. What do you guys think, should companies start making some 24" trial bikes or just stick to 26" and 20"?

2. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

If you are strictly riding for fun it would be great.If you compete You would be put into the mod category.You would have a bit of a disadvantage.Less tire selection and the beginning of a never ending
    debate on what fork is best.Though there are hardly any forks available.

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

You would be put in the mod category, but thats only if the event holders and mod riders you're competing against allow it.

4. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

you would be stuck with DJ components mostly, although you can get DX32s in 24"

- Joel

5. bwagner

bwagner New Member

24"ers are awesome for street riding and dirt jumping, and thats pretty much about it. Also the rollability of the smaller wheels sucks, even with a big fat tire. I've been riding on 24's for years on my street and freeriding bikes, they're great for that. Super strong and stiff, the tire selection is ok these days(maxxis highrollers, etc...) but not an advantage in the trials world, the chainstays on my stock bike are 375mm long, and they felt too short when I first started riding this bike, the advantage of smaller wheels is mainly the shorter stays it allows, and the tire clearance for larger dh tires, our tires are heavy enough without making them even fatter, so why bother. There are a few other advantages I guess but none outway the advantages a normal 26" sized wheel provides you with as far as trials in concerned. If I were to build up a fully rigid bike for a bit of trials, and mostly street with a trials flair, that's a different story, but for me 26" wheels reign supreme for stock bike use.

6. Elan

Elan steve french

go for it. i will never buy it though.

7. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i would like a 24" bike with a mod-feeling geometry. i love mods but every time i ride decent terrain with one i think "if only the wheels were a bit bigger"

8. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Go for it if you are into street influenced trials. If you want to ride pure trials dont, dont think about it, it wont be worth it in the long wrong. Just the logical, honest opinion on a very simple matter. END

9. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

i would be interested in a 24" street bike.

10. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I think those Leeson products kick ass, never tried em but look outstanding.

11. leedstrials

leedstrials Guest

I ride the ashton 24" and it a great bike! its pretty short (mine is 1020ish, with old skool echo cromo forks). As for forks Ashton make a fatty ripoff with 26/24 mounts, the forks i use have had the bosses moved down an inch!

Tyre's are more of a problem, On the back i first used an irc kujo dh, which was alright. I then used a Intense FRO DH sticky, which was awesome (i would recommend these for 26" too) they are practically pinch punture proof (ooohhh alliteration) i have had one puncture in 4 months, but have given it some real smacks on the corner of walls and such! Kenda make some good tyres too! For the front i run a tioga comp 3 2.1 which works very well for street and is alright for natural, but weighs about 500g and last ages!

I suppose most trials companies (koxx, echo, etc) don't make 24" bikes, because they are illegal for comps.
    The ashton IS a trials bike, just with 24" wheels but the short wb and the 24" make it excellent for street oriented trials.

I wonder what a long uci bike would feel like 24's on?

mike

12. SicMX

SicMX New Member

I only ride street trials and will never go into comp. so i think this could be quite cool. Plus i like combining trials with alot of street tricks like 180out and stuff. I gotta try someones ashton so i can decide

13. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Due to my locale (Florida) I doubt I'll be making any trips for comps, as well as doubt anybody will hold any here, so a 24 might be good for me since I ride 99% street trials... but meh...I like my 26... :joshers:

14. SicMX

SicMX New Member

does anyone have a pic of their ashton edd tongue bike? i really wanna see one

15. pav

pav New Member

I think 24" bikes are an excuse for mod riders to not be called gay any more.

16. Lilley

Lilley New Member

The Ashton is put out as Ed Tongue's signature model and I think the idea was to have a bike that crossed over nicely between his riding style as a BMXer and a trials rider. I would love to get one but I don't think I'd ever have one as my only bike.

17. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Unfortunately it does not matter what size wheel you use, people will still call trials riders gay.

18. SicMX

SicMX New Member

I don't see it like that. I think the reason as someone already said is that the 24" bike is made so you can throw more bmx style stuff into your riding.

19. leedstrials

leedstrials Guest