24" trials bike??

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by xxxfr, Aug 29, 2004.

1. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i just had a crazy thought, of putting dual 24's on my zebdi, to get that little extra flickability outta it, itll save some weight, and i do miss my 24's that i had on my other bike

what disadvantages will this cause besides not being able to use v's?

2. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Ashton makes a 24" wheeled trials bike. I don't see any advantages though...Going from a 26" to a 24":
    Pro's:
    -Wheels accelerate faster (You can achieve the same by running smaller size tyres)
    -Wheels are stronger (not by much though)
    -More clearance for pedal ups and sidehops (By 1")

Cons:
    -Wheels don't roll stuff as easily
    -Tyre selection is VERY limited
    -Rim selection is VERY limited
    -Will lower the BB height, making your frame bash prone (for those of you who are UCI gods)
    -Taps need to be more accurate because a smaller wheel size means your wheels can't roll over rough edges when tapping on natural.
    -Disc clearance is less (if you run a disc up front, it's closer to the ground)

That's all i can think of right now. Basically i don't see ANY point in having a 24" trials bike. It's either 20" or 26". Like "teh" wise man always says "Do it all bikes suck at everything". That's very true. In this case you have 20 or 26, and 24's will pretty much suck at everything, becuase you don't have the advantages of 20" (light, strong, clearance, accelerates faster) nor the advvantages will be easily seen of the 26" (rollability etc).

3. Tipsy Jock

Tipsy Jock Guest

Lower bb, on the plus side thou lower weight aswell

Pete

4. bwagner

bwagner New Member

don't do it, you'll be sorry

Tire selection sucks, and there is definitely a big difference in rollability. I just put 24"ers on my hucking bike(STINKY) and now I'm having problems that I didn't think of, first off my cranks can hit the ground while the suspension is active, and theres the rolling thing again, stuff I used to be able to plow through is now an obstacle because of the smaller wheels. I like the strength of the small wheels, but miss the other features of the larger wheels, I've sold the 24's and I'm going back to 26" wheels again as soon as I get a new pair.

5. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea, i was just curious, because i had 24's on my .243 and it was like i could manual forever and it was real fun in the park.....

but ill stick w/ the 26's because i like to compete in the big wheels comp at rye airfield

6. dingus

dingus Member

I belive it was Dan Bowhers who actually answered this question very well. Maybe I shouldnt say actually, i dont know. Anyway. I have always wanted a 24/24 and his logic was/is the greatest argument against.

Someday though when the handsome boy school of modelling picks me up and I own everything Ill have a 24/24 trials.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

who was that?

8. Elan

Elan steve french

give it a go. dont let others opinions stop you if you want to try it. IMO it is a waste of time, but thats just me.

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I'm a big fan of 24" rear, 29" front combos- best of both worlds, almost averages to 26" f/r so its the same thing.

10. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

if you build a bike, ie design the frame around a 24inch wheel you can do pretty well, you can get short stays without having to worry about cnc work and alike, even better for steel bikes.

11. Elan

Elan steve french

does this make front wheel moves easier too?

12. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea, im prolly not going to try it because disc brakes are evil seeing that i hop to the left....