Observed Trials banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought one of these new Guilty frames and the build is coming along at a glacial pace. First up, the BB is all wrong for a street frame so had to get a specific BB to make it work. Now I'm not really happy with the crank choices because of the silly BB crewkerz chose. I'm going to try to run Shimano cranks, but it's not looking good. Right now it's got Bonz cranks so I can run 18 - 13, but I don't have a silly Profile splined 13t for the rear so I'm waiting on Profiles extra slow shipping. The rear end is 12x135 thru axle, but I managed to get my 10mm bolt on Profile hub to work for now. I've got an Industry 9 Hydra on order, but they're way backed up and it might ship this month. Hopefully the bike will be fantastic once it all comes together.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Looks good!

Just put Crewkerz cranks on there and forget about it!
It's not meant to be used with standard cranks, so for sure you'll have issues if you go that route.
The WAW are quite light and super strong. It's a no brainer.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just can't stomach paying $300 plus for those cranks. I can get Shimanos for $129 WITH a 2 year warranty. The Bonz will work, but trials cranks on this frame are completely unnecessary. Luckily the geo is spot on for what I want.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It LIVES!!!! My 13t cog got here sooner than I thought so I got 2 days of riding on it with my Profile hub. I was having so much fun, I decided to steal the Hydra hub from my Hex and finish the Guilty properly. Only have to run the front brake thru the stem now. I got some boost Shimano cranks, but alas, they will not fit. The bb yoke won't allow a 22t ring sadly. Haven't ridden it with the Hydra yet, but today's gonna be a long session. Hell yeah!

·
They see me rollin'
833 Posts
It looks good. How is it riding? I considered one but I ended up sticking with 26" wheels.

·
tda
1,369 Posts
Not going to lie I filed down (let the cog shred) the chainstay on a bike, as long as super beefy yoke to start you’ll be fine :) pull dat dremel out. Hope the bike came w year supply of baguettes

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm extremely impressed by it so far. The cranks/BB are dumb, but the rest of the bike is A+. It's got an unusually solid feel to it for aluminum. It feels very direct and it's more flickable then my Hex/Czar 26. The geo is perfect, but 22 x 16 would make it completely perfect. 18 x 13 just isn't quite right.

Those cheap bastards didn't send me squat with the frame tho. No tensioner, no thru axle and not even the little brake hose clips. Definitely no baguettes :-(

·
tda
1,369 Posts
Looks like a fun machine.

Know anything about nukeproof bicycles? Looked last night, cannot believe what the geometry of todays bikes are. 65 head angle ! fuck i want to ride one badly. My giant XTC does the trick i guess .

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm keeping my eyes out for a Trek Ticket like James B rides. All modern mtbs seem to be in a race to have the slackest headangles and the largest wheels :-( Meanwhile 20" trials bikes are more numerous than ever. I absolutely can not believe the prices people pay for mtbs these days. Highway robbery!
Verde makes a steel DJ bike that looks pretty sweet too, but steel, meh.

·
tda
1,369 Posts
I'm keeping my eyes out for a Trek Ticket like James B rides. All modern mtbs seem to be in a race to have the slackest headangles and the largest wheels :-( Meanwhile 20" trials bikes are more numerous than ever. I absolutely can not believe the prices people pay for mtbs these days. Highway robbery!
Verde makes a steel DJ bike that looks pretty sweet too, but steel, meh.
yes im at an issue where i dont have $2000 for a used fuckin bike... new ones are insane !!! I remember riding a super slack dutch cruiser in copenhagen, it ripped on the trails there, i cannot imagine how great a new mtb feels. What is james b bikes geo??

I’m honestly thinking it would be cheaper to learn how to weld and build my own bikes, i want steel and hard tail... any suggestions on places to start?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts