2004 xt cranks?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by airmj, Jul 8, 2004.

1. airmj

airmj Guest

2005 LX cranks?

Anyone seen the 2005 LX cranks yet?

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=3843&SP=&v=1

Looks rather nice.

I was thinking of getting lx cranks and a king at the rear, opposed to the new echo FFW cranks + WI fws + new bb.

They cost around the same to setup, +- a bit here and there. But in the end, the lx cranks + king set up will give me a much lighter setup, cause of the hollowtech bb and the fact that most fixed rear hubs are still heavier than cks.

what do u guys think? i'm still a 55kg beginner, so i don't think i could snap any cranks just yet... :(

or should i wait for the 2005 HONE groupset?
    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=3722&V=1&SP=

about same pricing as the LX, toughness in between XT and SAINT... mmm

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  2. bwagner

bwagner New Member

I have the "Saint" cranks on my full suspension bike, and they are stiff as hell. The only thing I see posing a problem is the external bottom bracket cups and bearings. Even being a lighter rider, you'll crush the BB bearings the first time you land on your bb shell. Even though most of us don't do this on purpose too often, it does happen frequently. I'd stay away from the newer shimano cranks for trials for a bit, at least until the parts are radily available to replace more quickly. Don't get me wrong, I love my Saint stuff, but just not for trials. Hope this helps Also, theres a pair of Hussefelt trials cranks/trails bash rings BRAND new on ebay right now for like $70 american dollars. Just a thought.
    ~Bwagner

3. airmj

airmj Guest

aw man... are they THAT bad? :(

4. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

you should check out my shitmano hub and XT V-brake then you will see how bad they are.

The only other shimano parts I have are XTR levers and XT deraillier, which I must say are good.

As far as shimao cranks go, in the past they have proved to be rather shity except the top of the line XTR crank. I don't know about this new one though.

5. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

im running xt 2003 cranks + xt BB + xt deraillier for over a year without any problems:dunno:
    The xt stuff is imo decent

6. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

im running the diablos cranks, same system.......and the bb cups are thicker than my zebdis bb shell......so your not going to hurt the bearings unless you have cracked bb shells.....

my crank arms are scratched to shit, and theyre not a mark on the cups, and only the left one is vonerable, and i hop to the left......

if you really think about it, the spindle goes all the way through, the only way to crush the bearings is to snap the 23mm steel spindle (i think its 23, close anyway)..and thats not happening.....

7. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Actually I've been through a few pairs of bottom bracket bearings for my saint cranks already. I'm not talking about Race Face Products, I'm trying to give advice on the cranks that he asked about, SHIMANO cranks. The bearing cups on the SHIMANO cranks are thin, and not very strong. Strong enough for hucking and stuff, but not strong enough to land on. Your opinion of your Diabolous cranks is welcomed though, I'm thinking about putting them on my Stinky in place of my Saints:)

8. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

ive never seen the shitmanos up close, i just assumed they were the same, the race face cups are atleast 1/8" thick at the narrowest part (the low spots for the tool)

9. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i think u can use the race face bb for the shimano too?? i know its only like $60 for the diablos bb

10. airmj

airmj Guest

how much did u get the crank and bb for? mmm... rather weighty... over 1000g :x

11. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

crank with 22t and machined down e12 bash, and bb weigh in at 980g
    truv hussefelt trials w/ truv bb weigh in at 1119g
    truv holzfeller trials and fsa plat pro bb weigh in at 925g

55g to not have my cranks fall off again, ill take it........

12. Elan

Elan steve french

what... samson cranks own all joos