2004 Echo Pure Upgrade - Correction Zebdi!

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by flowman759, Dec 6, 2017.

1. flowman759

flowman759 New Member

I picked this up on Craigslist for steal last year and I've been slowly upgrading. It's my first trials bike, and I mainly ride street. Would like some help from other trials riders with what other updates I could make.

2004 (i think) Echo Pure (has rear disc mounts)
    • BB7 brakes, avid speed dial levers - was thinking to update rear to Magura HS33 (frame has canti mounts)
    • Rear Wheel - surly hub, not sure about the rim, bontrager earl tire
    • Front Wheel - sucks, heavy MTN wheel, maxxis high roller tire- was thinking to replace this next 20171001_111634.jpg
    • Cranks - Echo with front freewheel
    • Echo stem, bars - thinking about going with some wider bars
    Would really like some advice on what to upgrade next. Thanks in advance!

2. FFBtrial

FFBtrial Member

Hello!

We can build you a light and strong wheel set, pair those to light tires and send them your way!

Let us know what you want to upgrade, we have all you can need and December has huge deals all month!

3. modtire

modtire Easy, just don't lead them as much

Are you sure that its and Echo? Looks more like a repainted Zebdi to me with the square stays, triangle gussets, is the downtube teardrop shaped? Not that it really matters, but I'd be stoked to accidentally get a Zebdi like that.

aaccjosh likes this.
  4. modtire

modtire Easy, just don't lead them as much

Also my suggestions would be lose that front wheel as you plan. If the rear brake doesn't feel solid (maybe a linear cable/housing) I'd go to v-brakes with the canti mounts, much easier to set up and less overall hassle (plus cheaper). Then some clear pads or grind the rim.

And better tires for sure.

aaccjosh likes this.
  5. aaccjosh

aaccjosh Active Member

what modtire said. everything is spot on

6. flowman759

flowman759 New Member

awesome, thanks for the replies! I think you are right, it looks more like a Zebdi Planet X - cool! I'll start with a new front wheel and tires, then go from there. Great info on the rear v-brake. Thanks modtire.

7. Swoofty

Swoofty Member

If you go to V brakes, make sure you run a booster, will make all the difference. Otherwise go to larger rotors on your BB7s. For street riding the Maxxis Holy Rollers are the best all around, Conti X race is hella light, but pricey.

8. flowman759

flowman759 New Member

Quick update.... I broke my freewheel (POS daiwa), and replaced with an Echo TR. What a difference! Also upgraded to Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4's. Still working on the v-brake setup, I grabbed some Avid SD-5's, but can't find bosses that will fit (Zebdi threads are M10x1.25)....but the posts have too large a shoulder and the spring pin won't engage properly. So for now it remains rear disc. I will look into going with a 180 disc in the rear. Should I be concerned about breaking the frame or disc mounts on this Zebdi? I'm not a small rider, ~215lbs. Cheers!
    20171216_144546.jpg

9. flowman759

flowman759 New Member

Thanks aaccjosh - I ordered up a set, hope these do the trick.

10. Indy

Indy wish i could pedal hop

You should be concerned with those disc tabs. It's not a matter of if, but when. They will break. Get some rim brakes on there.

Motoscoot likes this.
  11. Motoscoot

Motoscoot New Member

I'm running the new HS33's on my zebdi street setup and I love it. I just don't trust the disc tabs.